Building Kitchen Cabinets?
Once a decade I find myself doing a small bit of kitchen cabinet type work, and it's always a struggle.  I cut my teeth on solid wood bookshelves, and boxes, and the occasional "major" project like hardwood chesstable.  So what I'm used to doing is coarse-medium-fine and sneaking up on this and that with planes.

In the cabinet work, it's a different world:  I'm going to paint it, so I want to scrimp on materials, use scrap for the non visible parts, and brad nailer and spackle and kilz for the rest.  I know in this I'm not that different from professionals because I've had them do work too.  But I also know, they something I don't.

Two examples:  when the professionals mount drawer slides, they just work-BAM!  When I do it, it's a complete ridiculous struggle that goes to such extremes (like yesterday 
Upset  ) where i ended up bandsawing off a 1/16" of thickness from a drawer side-and right through the brad nails too.  The other examples are drawers themselves.  The professionals are using the same crap ply I use, all warpy and not flat.  But somehow they are quickly nailing together square, will fitted drawer boxes that look good.

So, a long way around for a short question:  do you have recommendations for a book that talks a 'fine furniture' guy through the different ways of working to do the kitchen cabinet type thing, and covers the internal 'logic' of how these cabinets are built?  I did note the older FWW article on kitchen cabinet building, but that guy was building them like furniture and there's not professionally built cabinet in any house I've actually been in that's built with routed dado's, etc.
MAKE: Void your warranty, violate a user agreement, fry a circuit, blow a fuse, poke an eye out...  www.makezine.com

No Good Deed Goes Unpunished

Danny Proulx cabinet making gets high marks from some folks. Just don't try to call him.
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
(06-15-2019, 11:41 AM)jgourlay Wrote: So, a long way around for a short question:  do you have recommendations for a book that talks a 'fine furniture' guy through the different ways of working to do the kitchen cabinet type thing, and covers the internal 'logic' of how these cabinets are built?  I did note the older FWW article on kitchen cabinet building, but that guy was building them like furniture and there's not professionally built cabinet in any house I've actually been in that's built with routed dado's, etc.

Not to come across as a complete shill, but my book, The Complete Kitchen Cabinetmaker

https://readwatchdo.com/2014/05/the-comp...inetmaker/

is likely to be what you're looking for. I wrote it to reflect how the guys who make kitchens for a living do things and show the realistic options for someone with a typical small shop.

One thing that will help you is to focus on making perfect parts. Life is much easier if all the pieces are straight, square and the proper size, even if the sheet goods aren't.
Bob Lang
ReadWatchDo.com
My advise is:

1)  Buy two or three books and read them. Then pick and choose from the ideas in them what will work for you.  

2)  Buy quality sheet goods, stuff that is consistent in thickness, flat when you get it, and stays flat.  Stuff that isn't flat is never a bargain.  

3)  If you don't have a slider or track saw, build yourself a table saw sled and dial it in so that it cuts dead square.  Square parts are critical to square boxes and if your boxes aren't square you will struggle every step thereafter.  And buy a quality sheet goods sawblade for your TS to minimize tearout.  

4)  Cut all common parts at once, whenever possible.  

5)  If you struggle to make square drawer boxes of consistent size, farm them out to a company that does that.  On the other hand, they aren't hard to make if you build the boxes first, confirm the dimensions needed for the drawers, and cut all common parts at once.  Since you now know how to cut square parts the drawers will be square ,too, if you glue them up around the bottom.  

Cutting and building square is the key. Same with installation.  If the boxes don't get hung level and plumb the doors and drawers won't fit properly.    

John
Right now you need the best material, not a new shop, which most cabinet-building books casually dump onto unsuspecting amateurs. [You'll probably wish you had the shop for about the same price.] Go with Lang's suggestion. He admits shillism, but didn't his strong practical senses. I've always admired his sense of utility ..., even if it is Greene and Greene(er).
John

Two things if it was me.  Buy Bobs book or go to Menards to pick out some of their cheap cabinets and paint them.  Pretty cheap at $40 to $125 each and ready to paint or use milk paint to is another option.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Just cause the pro’s use crappy stuff and techniques doesn’t mean you have to. Build like you build. All my kitchen drawers are solid wood with dovetails. You don’t find nails or sparkel. yes if painting Kilz or some kind of primer. Ive used mdf for raised panels. The secret to drawers and glides are making sure your boxes are square and the parts that the box connects to are square to it. And that the spacing is perfect. If it doesn’t work. Build a new box. You’ll get better
I think frameless cabinets are the easiest to make.

Check Danny Proulx's book.

Its all about a system: cutting like parts, assembling, using standard measuring systems like the system 32 frameless.

You mentioned using cheap plywood.  I don't know any cabinetmakers who do this.

I prefer melamine or prefinished plywood.

Bottom line: use quality materials & figure out what system you want to use.  The rest is getting your machines set up, getting a work flow figured out, and painting ------------ that's a whole 'nother thang.
(06-17-2019, 11:02 AM)rwe2156 Wrote: I think frameless cabinets are the easiest to make.

Check Danny Proulx's book.

Its all about a system: cutting like parts, assembling, using standard measuring systems like the system 32 frameless.

You mentioned using cheap plywood.  I don't know any cabinetmakers who do this.

I prefer melamine or prefinished plywood.

Bottom line: use quality materials & figure out what system you want to use.  The rest is getting your machines set up, getting a work flow figured out, and painting ------------ that's a whole 'nother thang.

I agree that frameless are easier to make.  No faceframes to deal with and you get more storage space.  But style dictates whether or not that is an acceptable option. 

Finishing interior cabinets, shelves, etc. is a thankless job and the finish you use will never be as durable as either of those.  I made my kitchen cabinet boxes with Melamine 25 years ago.  They look as good inside today as when I first built them.  

John
(06-15-2019, 01:32 PM)Bob Lang Wrote: Not to come across as a complete shill, but my book, The Complete Kitchen Cabinetmaker

https://readwatchdo.com/2014/05/the-comp...inetmaker/

is likely to be what you're looking for. I wrote it to reflect how the guys who make kitchens for a living do things and show the realistic options for someone with a typical small shop.

One thing that will help you is to focus on making perfect parts. Life is much easier if all the pieces are straight, square and the proper size, even if the sheet goods aren't.

Excellent!  Bought from Amazon just now!

Now...let's say that I was precipitous and finished the cabinet about 10 minutes before reading your message.  And let's say that it's....1/2" too tall.  What the right way to make it shorter assuming that the kickplate (the base) is the right height?
MAKE: Void your warranty, violate a user agreement, fry a circuit, blow a fuse, poke an eye out...  www.makezine.com

No Good Deed Goes Unpunished