New York City Visit and Woodworking
This past week I vacationed in NYC with family.  While most of our visit included the staple tourist spots (Empire State Building, Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island, Central Park, Brooklyn Bridge, 9-11 Memorial), I was able to make a diversion to Tools for Working Wood in Brooklyn and also peruse the moderately extensive furniture exhibits at the Metropolitan Museum of Art.  A few pics are mandatory.

Tools for Working Wood moved from their upstairs warehouse to their current location a few years ago.  It's easy to find, as it's literally at the end of the street.  Subways are your friend in NYC as well - our hotel was mid-town Manhattan.  The sales guy was quite helpful and friendly.  There's not a whole lot on display, but if you want to try something out, they'll fish it out of the warehouse behind the moderately small display / sales area.

The furniture at the Met was pretty extensive - especially the American wing.  They have one room which is literally shelves upon shelves of tables, clocks, chairs, and the like.  Of course, there are fine displays of high boys, elaborately veneered and marquetry tables, tall clocks, etc.  As a woodworker, I had this strong desire to open up the drawers and see the construction and dovetails, but you know the rules don't allow it.

All-in-all, a very enjoyable visit.  If you are an art aficianado, you really need more than one day at the Metropolitan Museum of Art.  Even the Egyptian stuff has a fair amount of woodworking.  And, so does the Statue of Liberty Museum!  The molds they used to make the copper pieces of the statue were first carved out of wood.

TFWW Store Front

TFWW Sales Area

Highboy Closeup

Secretary Shell Carving

Statue of Liberty Woodworking Form (note the rasps and adze)

Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Thank you for the write-up and the pictures! I hope to visit NYC soon and will put those places on the list.
Yes, thank you.  For those who are fans of his there is, or was, a whole room devoted to George Nakashima at the Met.  It's well worth a look.
                 -Howard
(06-17-2019, 08:24 AM)Howard Pollack Wrote: Yes, thank you.  For those who are fans of his there is, or was, a whole room devoted to George Nakashima at the Met.  It's well worth a look.
                 -Howard

The Nakashima exhibits are all in the Japanese Art section of the museum.  While he used Japanese techniques, he was an American - born and raised in Seattle.  I didn't have time to visit the Nakashima Gallery while I was there.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(06-17-2019, 12:50 PM)AHill Wrote: The Nakashima exhibits are all in the Japanese Art section of the museum.  While he used Japanese techniques, he was an American - born and raised in Seattle.  I didn't have time to visit the Nakashima Gallery while I was there.

One can spend a week or more at the Met.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(06-17-2019, 06:36 PM)Admiral Wrote: One can spend a week or more at the Met.

Truth. That place is amazing and goes on forever.
Jason