best way to cut a plaster wall.
I am re-tiling the bathroom and instead of terminating the tiles 1 foot from the ceiling I intend to go all the way to the ceiling.

I need to remove that top foot of plaster and replace it with cement board. 

Tearing it out is not a problem.  I want to make a nice neat cut at the juncture of the wall and ceiling.  I have 11 running feet to cut.

My options are:

4½" grinder (lots and lots of dust)
Sawzall (a lot of dust,  and harder to avoid cutting into the studs)

Oscillating trim saw (I don't know if this saw is up to the task--probably less dust than the grinder and easy to control)

Sharp chisel (little dust, but does not seem like a likely candidate.  I might try it anyway because of the dust.)

Suggestions?
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
Oscillating saw with carbide grit blades. Will take some time but give the nicest finish.
if you can hold a vacuum next to the oscillating tool, that will keep the dust down.  Old plaster might contain all sorts of horrible stuff.  I cut into my mom's ceiling and couldn't get some of the plaster out of my eye for days.  Really horrible, it stung.  Her plaster was made of local dirt and horse hair.  I would wear googles and a dust mask
Don't overthink this.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-6-in-.../203040561
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

(06-17-2019, 08:48 AM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: Don't overthink this.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-6-in-.../203040561

I tried that originally, but the metal lathe (stamped) snagged the teeth and made it difficult.

This stuff:  [Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ_22CH8dfJrQpEsx-fT8S...Yd8Tv2PKYg]
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
I used a sawzall on mine. You won't cut the studs much given the low angle.

Wear a mask and close the HVAC vents and shut the door before you do it. If the plaster is thicker than cement board and tile then you may need second layer of cement board to hide the joint with the ceiling.
(06-17-2019, 10:06 AM)Cooler Wrote: I tried that originally, but the metal lathe (stamped) snagged the teeth and made it difficult.

Oh I didn't know you had that stuff.

Not sure how well an oscillating blade will cut that.

Back to the grinder?
(06-17-2019, 10:06 AM)Cooler Wrote: I tried that originally, but the metal lathe (stamped) snagged the teeth and made it difficult.

Oh yea... reciprocating saw
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

(06-17-2019, 11:37 AM)WoodworkerTom Wrote: I used a sawzall on mine. You won't cut the studs much given the low angle.

Wear a mask and close the HVAC vents and shut the door before you do it.  If the plaster is thicker than cement board and tile then you may need second layer of cement board to hide the joint with the ceiling.

And use a good vacuum with HEPA filter, combined with a fan exhausting out the window.
Angle grinder and maybe and attachment like this one found on Amazon. Angle grinder dust shroud