Arbor for a Grizzly table saw
(06-19-2019, 03:55 PM)tablesawtom Wrote: First of all I am a job shop Tool and die Maker with 50 years in the trade. I also taught Tool and Die for 10 years at Hawkeye Community College. I also have journeyman papers as a Mold Maker. I am retired but I do work 7:00 to 12:00 Monday Wednesday and Friday at Machine tool and Engineering  in the next town over. And they let me use anything I want on my own time.

Yes I know that if it can be made once it can be made again. I know, I have been building dies, special machines, Jig And fixtures all my life. And to be able to make the spindles cost effectively with  a production operator would take special tooling. Not one at a time from a toolroom Machinist.

Yes I know how to cut a left handed thread, You have to turn the tool upside down and run the lathe backwards. If one is cutting a right hand thread when on gets the the end of the thread they can back the tool out using the cross slide screw, no big deal.  But to do it left handed one has to have the tool in position which is not easy and start the lathe with the half nut engaged and then advance the tool  into the cut while every thing is running and all because of a 3 inch shoulder but the shaft size is around 5/8 inch. Not only that but there is a 1/8 machined shoulder that the blade sets on and the only extra room is the thickness of the flange. that the nut has to thread up against. Yes, I probably can make one but I am also smart enough not to.

And to be truthful every small surface grinder I have ever run has a left handed nut on the spindle except for the Brown and Sharp grinder we have at the shop which is right handed and the wheel doesn't loosen up even against the spindle rotation so the nut cold be right handed and if tightened down won't come loose. IF it is a right hand thread to do the job the tool goes in upside down and on the back side of the shaft and run ithe lathe backwards, one gets a right hand thread. Better yet find someone with a CNC lathe then the threading is  done in a caned cycle and the Z is controlled numerically. then the shoulder is not a problem.

But you have to be able to start the thread and the safest way is to cut a groove which would weaken the part. Yes I can turn it down and sleeve it but there are threads on the end of the shaft that the major diameter are all but the same size as the shaft, If I cut down the shaft fare enough to recut the threads I will not have enough of the original shaft left.

I showed my problem to my working supervisor and the first words out of his mouth was If I still had my metal spraying equipment it would be a no brainer.  We also discussed cutting a groove and putting in a split sleeve. Then he said he has been told to get a metal spraying equipment for the shop by the owner on a couple different occasions so I will wait and see how that comes out.

And now for the good stuff, it is not my saw arbor I am just trying to help out a friend. I was hoping someone might have an idea of where I can get on and I am thankful for the idea of possibly using a delta shaft. I will check that out. 

The machine shop where I work part time is a CNC production shop and I am either going have to  find a shop that does metal spraying or wait for the shop to get one if a Delta spindle won't work.

.I am wondering what the difference is between the left and right saws as far as the arbor goes. I thought the arbors were similar but the trunnions were different. 
Also , would a 3hp saw arbor work or did they discontinue that as well. I recall reading somewhere the arbor replacement was about $20.00 when it was available. 
 mike
The left tilt has a right hand thread on the arbor and the right tilt has a left hand thread to keep the blade from coming loose during operation.  Remember the trunnion is reversed side to side for the left and right tilt.   Roly
A Unisaw arbor looks awfully similar to the Grizzly in question. Plenty of Unisaw arbors around. Would be worth getting some dimensions to compare.
Wink 
I checked out Ebay and the Delta arbor takes the same bearings as the Grizzly so the shaft diameter is the same .I had the person send me some dimensions of the shaft length and they are the same s o I ordered it and I will let you all know when it gets here.

Tom
(06-23-2019, 07:41 AM)Roly Wrote: The left tilt has a right hand thread on the arbor and the right tilt has a left hand thread to keep the blade from coming loose during operation.  Remember the trunnion is reversed side to side for the left and right tilt.   Roly

Yes I know but if the nut is truly tightened it will work. It is just that a left handed thread is self tightening but it still needs to be tight enough or the blade will spin.

Tom
(06-27-2019, 06:52 PM)tablesawtom Wrote: Yes I know but if the nut is truly tightened it will work. It is just that a left handed thread is self tightening but it still needs to be tight enough or the blade will spin.

Tom

Good Luck with that.  Roly
(06-27-2019, 06:48 PM)tablesawtom Wrote: I checked out Ebay and the Delta arbor takes the same bearings as the Grizzly so the shaft diameter is the same .I had the person send me some dimensions of the shaft length and they are the same s o I ordered it and I will let you all know when it gets here.

Tom

Cool
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(06-28-2019, 10:29 AM)Stwood_ Wrote:
Cool

Bought the delta arbor. There is a .0005 difference in the arbor diameter. The bearing slid on the Grizzly shaft and the bearing was acting more like a sleeve that bearing which is why the shaft undercut.I figure about .0003 press fit for the inner bearing race, which hold the inter race just fine and not cause any assemble problems. 

The only difference I have encountered is the thread on the back of the arbor is not the same and the grizzly had a locking nut and the Delta doesn't. I will find out out about it when I help install the arbor Friday. I did bring some Loctite thread locker home from work but I don't know if I will need it or not. I will find out Friday.

And I will let everyone know how it turns out. Again this is not my saw, it is for a friend of mine  but should be of interest to every one out there who has a right tilt Grizzly saw.

Tom
(07-03-2019, 07:16 PM)tablesawtom Wrote: And I will let everyone know how it turns out. Again this is not my saw, it is for a friend of mine  but should be of interest to every one out there who has a right tilt Grizzly saw.

Tom

Keeping my fingers crossed for you guys.