Teflon Spray
I lubricate mine every once in a while when it starts squeaking too loudly.

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick

Mark

Either Teflon or graphite dry lube is best. The dry lube does not attract dust.
Bicycle shops carry it for chains.
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.
Disappointment Deluxe!!!!!!!! Clearly I have goofed.  The Teflon spray arrived and I was eager to dedicate serious time to cleaning and lubricating the TS.  Not sure of what lubricant I had used previously but it definitely collected dust so all had to be cleaned with brass brush.  Applied the Teflon and the squeaking returned the very first time the blade was lowered.

I have no idea of how many times I repeated the process.  I felt like I met the qualifications for being a fool.  The saw blade has always positioned smoothly going up and to any angle, but going down it squeaks only with the blade on.  Hear is the humorous part...the Teflon is preventing any other lubricant I have from working. 

I know what frustration feels like!

Surly you folks can set me on a clear path of success.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
(07-04-2019, 08:38 AM)Bill Holt Wrote: Disappointment Deluxe!!!!!!!! Clearly I have goofed.  The Teflon spray arrived and I was eager to dedicate serious time to cleaning and lubricating the TS.  Not sure of what lubricant I had used previously but it definitely collected dust so all had to be cleaned with brass brush.  Applied the Teflon and the squeaking returned the very first time the blade was lowered.

I have no idea of how many times I repeated the process.  I felt like I met the qualifications for being a fool.  The saw blade has always positioned smoothly going up and to any angle, but going down it squeaks only with the blade on.  Hear is the humorous part...the Teflon is preventing any other lubricant I have from working. 

I would use whatever solvent the Teflon can says to use for cleanup to remove it.  If nothing is listed, look up the MSDS or whatever they are now called and see if a solvent is listed there.  Assuming you get it off, the old way to lubricate those mechanisms was paraffin which still works fine.  I use TriFlow spray lube and let it dry overnight.  Works fine for me.  

And a Happy 4th to All.

John
I think I remember Howard Acheson recommending paste wax ( Butcher's or Johnson's ) for lubing these parts on a table saw. He said it wouldn't hold the dust.
(07-04-2019, 08:38 AM)Bill Holt Wrote: Disappointment Deluxe!!!!!!!! Clearly I have goofed.  The Teflon spray arrived and I was eager to dedicate serious time to cleaning and lubricating the TS.  Not sure of what lubricant I had used previously but it definitely collected dust so all had to be cleaned with brass brush.  Applied the Teflon and the squeaking returned the very first time the blade was lowered.

I would spray it with brake cleaner then apply Moly disulfide powder...Moly actually embeds into the pores of the steel or brass and it doesn't "break down" like graphite, altho I would use graphite if I didn't have moly.
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

I use Kano Labs' "Dryphite"

http://www.kanolabs.com/indLub.html#anchor228220

It's dry, it stays in place on the metal (like paint) and it lasts a long time. Made by the same people who make Kroil penetrating oil.