Doug Fir Roubo Benches > 3 yrs old
I built one out of good 2x4s and it’s held up well but needs to be flattened again. It has a noticeable twist on the top but it still works. I’d like to make a new top since I didn’t set up the dog holes correctly.
Don
Hi Curt

A little late to the party but my bench is made from Doug Fir in 2010.  I have no idea if the sap has hardened, but it's probably getting close if it hasn't already.  If you use Doug Fir, I would suggest using hard maple for the front board and the dog hole board.  These areas take a lot of wear and the harder maple will hold up better.  But for the bulk of the top and the legs, Doug Fir is a great choice.

A neighbor once gave me some 10 year-old Doug Fir 2x6s that he had harvested himself, and I couldn't drive a nail through it.  It was so hard I had to drill pilot holes.
True power makes no noise - Albert Schweitzer.       It's obvious he was referring to hand tools