Exasperated with Fine Woodworking Magazine!
About 10 days ago I received an email to say that my on-line subscription with FWW magazine could not be renewed as the credit card details were incorrect. I checked, and they were up to date. 

I have been a longstanding on-line member and paying a low fee ($19.95) because of this. To renew, I now have to pay the full fee ($99). So I contact Customer Service, who send me a form reply after 2 days to say I should log in and renew my account. I explain that I am an existing customer, and wish to continue the discounted rate. Two days later there is another form email ton say that they have discontinued the old subscription and replaced with a new super duper version for everyone. Well, why did they not say so in the first place? 

Now I decide that, what the Hell, I shall subscribe at the new rate. It is only money and you cannot take it with you. I enter my details and country (Australia), and then am asked for my state. This is where it all comes to a grinding halt as only USA states are displayed. I try this every which way ... but only USA states are displayed. (I have completed similar forms on other websites - I am not a doofus). 

I contact Customer Support again, explaining the situation, and begging that they take my money. Two days later I get another form email, explaining that I need to log and and renew my account. OK, perhaps something has changed in the past two days. So I log on again. Same as before - I can be resident of Wyoming but never Western Australia. OK, I have a new idea ... I'll go in and sign up as a brand new subscriber! Yeah right ... same again. Apparently no one resides outside the USA in states with names that are dissimilar to those in the USA.

I have emailed Customer Service one last time. What do you think that they will reply? 

I wonder if the penny will drop when all international subscribers suddenly stop being subscribers ...?!

Regards from Perth

Derek  (hoping that FWW magazine are reading this)
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
All this automated renewal crap can get pretty stupid sometimes can't it! Good luck.
(06-29-2019, 10:47 AM)Derek Cohen Wrote: I have emailed Customer Service one last time. What do you think that they will reply? 

Customer Service will undoubtedly reply that you need to log in and renew your account.
Hank, if you connect to the Customer Service web page, there is a box "make a payment". Now if you attempt to make a payment (to subscribe), you are asked to first sign in. If you sign in, the "make a payment" box disappears.

Their web designer must have trained in sadism.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
I'm also done with Fine Woodworking online account, but for a different reason. Most PBS shows you can view online for free. Not the Fine Woodworking sponsored show that replaced Rough Cut. You must subscribe to Fine Woodworking's online content to view the show. And, since it doesn't air on any of the 3 local PBS stations I get with my TV service, I have no access to it. Electronic media is becoming far more expensive than the old telephone and newspaper. TV used to be free. Phone service used to cost around $30 a month plus maybe another $10 more for long distance. Now it's no usual to pay $200+ per month for your cell phone, plus $100 for internet, and another $100-200 per month for your cable or satellite TV. Far more than the rate of inflation. Sure, more content, but 80% of that content I don't use. And yes, I'm aware of services like Hulu, Netflix, and the like.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(06-29-2019, 12:13 PM)Derek Cohen Wrote: Hank, if you connect to the Customer Service web page, there is a box "make a payment". Now if you attempt to make a payment (to subscribe), you are asked to first sign in. If you sign in, the "make a payment" box disappears.

Their web designer must have trained in sadism.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Derek,
I think you should post your complaint on the FWW forum.  The administrators of FWW are trying to re-activate interest in the forum, and your post is just the kind that would get that started.  

johnbarfielddesign.com
Derek:

The following from the The Taunton Press website - home of among other magazines FWW

You may reach our Customer Service Center by mail, email or phone Monday through Friday from 9am-9pm ET and Sat 9am-7pm ET.

International Customers 1-515-247-2990

Just because I used to work in the computer business (I am retired and only have a (gasp) flip phone my sympathy was aroused. And also my ire.

I called Taunton Press Customer support (USA # as I am in the US) and immediately asked for a supervisor. It took a few minutes but Mary came on the line. I explained Derek's frustration and and he was a sharing the experience on a woodworking forum. Mary verified what he is seeing.

Derek - please call and ask for a supervisor. DO NOT e-mail.

Good luck.

Bill
(06-29-2019, 02:00 PM)wjt Wrote:  Derek - please call and ask for a supervisor. DO NOT e-mail.

Good luck.

Bill

Sometimes you have to call and speak with a person; I guess for Derek that means getting up in the middle of the night....  BTDT, I work for an international tech company and have conference calls with Australia; China, India, etc...... and when you are the only person in the US on the call, you are the odd man out....
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
I have the "classic" FWW online subscription. A few months ago I received an email notice saying they would automatically charge my card for the "classic" subscription when my current subscription was up for renewal. Everything went as I expected.

Sounds like something got messed up with your account. I don't really have a solution other than to keep trying to talk to a real person at FWW.
>
Worse than ignorance is the illusion of knowledge.
>
The masses have never thirsted after truth. Whoever can supply them with illusions is easily their master; whoever attempts to destroy their illusions is always their victim. - Gustave Le Bon

I've met a number of programmers that don't have much of a clue that any place but the US exists, much less that their phone numbers or addresses might be a different format.

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick

Mark