Aluminum Fountain Pen
(07-01-2019, 01:33 PM)stav Wrote: Are you turning aluminum on a wood working lathe with wood working tools?

Yes.  this pen was turned between centers (with bushings) with a carbide tool.    I am going to try a different tool on the next one to see if it works better.
Wow, I had no idea. Very cool.
(06-29-2019, 12:47 PM)crokett™ Wrote: I had a specific finish in mind when I did this pen.    It took some experimenting to get the finish I wanted.  The actual finishing turned out to be pretty simple.   This is also a new kit for me.   I am testing various kits, I'm not up to the level if kitless yet.  This is the Commander and I like that it is medium point and writes more smoothly than the other kits I have tried.  

Very nice.   Who makes the commander kit?  I've been out of pen turning for years, but you're making me want to start again!
You are frequently puzzled by things you tell us you fully understand. - Bob10 to EH 9/22/16

Too much has been made out of my mostly idle comments  - Cletus 12/9/15

You sound like one of those survivalist, hoarder, tin foil hat, militia, clinger, wackjobs.  - Fear Monger 1/30/13
(07-09-2019, 01:46 PM)FireWood Wrote: Very nice.   Who makes the commander kit?  I've been out of pen turning for years, but you're making me want to start again!

I don't know who makes it, but you can get it at Woodturningz.com
(07-09-2019, 02:55 PM)crokett™ Wrote: I don't know who makes it, but you can get it at Woodturningz.com

I am tempted to make one out of titanium because I have never turned it before..I understand it is a bit of a PITA. But I love the metal.
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

(07-15-2019, 08:49 PM)Timberwolf Wrote: ...................
I am tempted to make one out of titanium because I have never turned it before..I understand it is a bit of a PITA. But I love the metal.

If I give you dimensions will you machine me the pen barrels?  I will pay for the titanium.
(07-17-2019, 01:02 PM)crokett™ Wrote: If I give you dimensions will you machine me the pen barrels?  I will pay for the titanium.

Dave, I wont make that commitment because I have never turned it before...I may see if I can buy enough stock just to "play around" with it..If I can work with it, I'll email you. I think it will make a great pen...and I'd like to be able to "freehand" it like brass or aluminum...If I can do it freehand, anybody with a wood lathe should be able to also.
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

(07-17-2019, 03:12 PM)Timberwolf Wrote: ...................
Dave, I wont make that commitment because I have never turned it before...I may see if I can buy enough stock just to "play around" with it..If I can work with it, I'll email you. I think it will make a great pen...and I'd like to be able to "freehand" it like brass or aluminum...If I can do it freehand, anybody with a wood lathe should be able to also.

if it works, let me know.  if it helps with motivation, I'll buy the kit and assemble a pen for you.  
Smile