Wood choice help - accent ring
I’m making 3 segmented vessels in varying sizes as a wedding gift. The primary wood will be koa, 6 - 11 rows per vessel depending on size, primary rings 3/4” thick. There are plans for 2 accent rows, the first approx 2/3 up and the second at the top, each of which will be 3/8” thick. Looking for ideas on what might be a good accent wood - really been struggling with this. I though of Holly (I happen to have some left) or something light, but I’m concerned it will stand out too much and draw the eye away from the beauty of the koa and overall vessel. Appreciate any thoughts.

Thanks,
John
Maybe Bloodwood or African Blackwood?
I agree with the Holy, it's very light/white. If you go dark, I'd go as dark/black as you can or it will just blend in with the Koa.

How about off white like Hickory or Pecan or a darker Maple? I would not do oak. What are you going to finish it with? Oil will help darken the lighter wood.

Good luck. Please post a pic when you're done.
"73 is the best number because it's the 21st prime number, and it's mirror 37 is the 12th prime number, whose mirror 21 is the product of 7 times 3. Also in binary 73 is 1001001, which is a palindrome." - Nobel Laureate, Dr. Sheldon Cooper
I thnk it would really depend on the designs of the feature rings. I wouldn't use holly next to koa because of the density difference and the possibility of the sanding dust from the koa staining the holly. If I were to want a white/light design I would use maple.Can you post a picture of the koa so we can get an idea of the shade color? IIRC Koa can vary quite a bit in coloring.
My go to source for “inspiration” is Pinterest. Type in segmented turnings and you will get a ton of ideas.

I’ve used the bloodwood-maple combo a lot. Maple may look nice against the dark Koa.
Don
Without knowing the shade of the wood I would consider chakta viga or pink ivory. Or, if the koa is on the darker side maybe cherry for the feature ring.
Bloodwood. 987654321
"Mongo only pawn in game of life."        Mongo
Thanks all. I ended up traveling this week so will select the pieces of koa from the stash and see about posting pictures when I get back home tomorrow. I did look for combinations of koa and bloodwood, and we may have a winner. Will also look at the others. Thanks for the input
Maple with BLO would certainly standout against the dark koa and not be so lilly white.