Bessy K Body Revo clamps
Rockler has a sale going on these. I was tempted but noticed they don't get very good reviews. I have been very happy with my old Bessys. Did they mess them up? Would appreciate hearing from anyone with experience with these.

Papa Jim
I had a good day. I used every tool I own!
Aren't they the Revo Jr. clamps? I saw but didn't look any closer because I thought they were the Jr model.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(06-30-2019, 11:46 AM)fredhargis Wrote: Aren't they the Revo Jr. clamps? I saw but didn't look any closer because I thought they were the Jr model.

You are correct. Didn't realize there was a difference.
I had a good day. I used every tool I own!
I’m a big fan of the old Besseys. I have 6 or 8 of the Revo’s but they aren’t half the clamp the originals were imo. They’re just too dang big and unwieldy. I don’t know why clamp manufacturers all think we’re building crap out of railroad ties and need 18,000,0000 pounds of pressure.

The fact that they’re the Revo Jr would make me more likely to try them since I hear the form factor is more similar to the previous K bodies.
-Marc

(06-30-2019, 11:46 AM)fredhargis Wrote: Aren't they the Revo Jr. clamps? I saw but didn't look any closer because I thought they were the Jr model.

Interesting - I haven't bought any clamps in so long I didn't even know Bessy made the Jr. model. After a quick search, FWIW here is the best price I've found on the 12" model.

Doug
(06-30-2019, 11:45 AM)Papa Jim Wrote: Rockler has a sale going on these. I was tempted but noticed they don't get very good reviews. I have been very happy with my old Bessys. Did they mess them up? Would appreciate hearing from anyone with experience with these.

Papa Jim

No experience with the new Bessy clamps, but years ago I bought the new (back then) Jet clamps.  They are heavier than my original Bessy clamps with more surface area on the faces, plus a "trigger" to release a catch, and they definitely have more clamping force than the Bessy clamps.  That being said, if I had it to do all over again I would stick to the original Bessy clamp, but I don't think they are available any more.  If I were in the market for new clamps I would get the Bessy Revo, but honestly I've made do with what I have plus an abundance of pipe clamps for about two decades.
"Yes, of course duct tape works in a near-vacuum. Duct tape works anywhere. Duct tape is magic and should be worshiped." Andy Weir (in his book The Martian)
I bought enough original KBody clamps when various stores (HD, Sears) were closing them out, I don't have a place to put them all

When Jet originally released their version, Rockler had some good sales on them, and I bought a bunch of those.  

I prefer the Kbody over the Jet.

but you can never have enough clamps....

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick

Mark

(06-30-2019, 11:45 AM)Papa Jim Wrote: Rockler has a sale going on these. I was tempted but noticed they don't get very good reviews. I have been very happy with my old Bessys. Did they mess them up? Would appreciate hearing from anyone with experience with these.

Papa Jim

Jim, those are the Revo Jrs, not the full size Revos.

I have both. The Jrs are good for smaller projects but are NOT for cabinets and other large jobs.

Just FYI, Bessey just released the newest version of their full sized parallel clamps, called the REVOlution. These are awesome. They have better clamp power, the heads do NOT slide unexpectedly, they stay where set until you move them.
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.