Resin
Would like to try filling some fairly large cracks in some blanks I have. Never used resin and am unfamiliar with the total process. Would I need a pressure pot or can I getbuy without it? There are a lot of youtube videos on resin casting. but would rather have advice on this from someone here. Many conflicting videos. Mfg and process or videos you agree with or have even posted yourself. Thanks.
(06-30-2019, 12:40 PM)Turner52 Wrote: Would like to try filling some fairly large cracks in some blanks I have. Never used resin and am unfamiliar with the total process. Would I need a pressure pot or can I getbuy without it? There are a lot of youtube videos on resin casting. but would rather have advice on this from someone here. Many conflicting videos. Mfg and process or videos you agree with or have even posted yourself. Thanks.

I followed this guys instructions:

Watch it on Youtube and he has a list of supplies and a link to more specific instructions.

The only thing I couldn't do that he showed was making my old molds from melamine.  I got much better results from cheap silicone ones from China off of eBay.

All that being said, if you just want to fill cracks, you might want to experiment with 5-minute epoxy.
For cracks I use 5 minute or 15 minute epoxy and I mix powdered metals or turquise or other rock that is nice addition.

If you want to see thru it then use

This one should work

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Resin-Obsession...SwDNdVhM1t

Or this one

https://www.ebay.com/itm/EPOXY-RESIN-CRY...0005.m1851
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
I use 5 and 15 minute epoxy and Clear Cast 7050 for repairs I also did a pour with the ClearCast on Saturday

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhkXpci56F0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38BTK4SUq38
If it don't hold soup, it's ART!!

Dry Creek Woodturning

You do not need a pressure pot. Did you want to use clear resin or were you going to color it?
Peter Brown

I can fix that...

shop-time.net
I would probably color the resin. I am talking about cracks on a 10 inch piece that is about 1"wide going down to nothing as it gets deeper into the piece. Thanks for the replies so far. Hoping for more. The more info the better I will be able to decide how I want to proceed.
(07-01-2019, 11:51 AM)kludge Wrote: You do not need a pressure pot. Did you want to use clear resin or were you going to color it?

Peter

Sooooooooooooo good to see you again.  I just watched another of your videos a few days ago.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
I've had excellent results from CA glue for smaller voids using ground coffee as a filler. It's gives a nice nearly black, with brown accents color. Just drizzle in some CA and pack it with coffee, then drizzle more CA until it fills, then sand flush. Repeat as necessary until the void is completely filled and smooth. I'm sure epoxy would work well, and be easier to do the initial fill, as it's thicker.

It gives a more natural look than turquoise or metal shavings.
"Mongo only pawn in game of life."        Mongo
A gap that wide needs resin. I prefer Silmar 41. Coffee grounds give the most natural look, as Clovishound says, unless you want a coontrast from dyes or powders. I would not do metal shavings. My experience is they tend to get pulled out of the resin, leaving pits. Metal swarf (long strings) are better.