2x4 Vertical Support
Quick question.  I need to stand an eight foot 2x4 on it's end and support it vertically for just a couple of days.  What's the best/quickest design you'd use?  I'll have three of them about 15 feet apart, supporting a 1/2" water line.

My head went right to a bucket of concrete, but there has to be a better, less wasteful way.
Metal fence stakes for a garden would work.
In a house? Basement? What are the details of the space?

Lacking details. I'd attach a 2x4, + to the bottom of the vertical 2x4
Mark

I'm no expert, unlike everybody else here - Busdrver

Nah...I like you, young feller...You remind me of my son... Timberwolf 03/27/12

Here's a fact: Benghazi is a Pub Legend... CharlieD 04/19/15

I’d find stuff around the house to which I could clamp the two-bys. In my current situation, our dining chairs would be ideal.
Good question and stupid of me not to include...this will be free standing on a paver patio....so nothing to nail/stake it down to.  Minimal footprint required to prevent a tripping hazard to others
Assuming they're outdoors, put them together in pairs, forming an inverted vee, with a screw or two where they overlap to join them.  There will be a vee at the top.  Put the tube/hose/pipe in that vee.  Strap or lash the tube/hose/pipe into that top vee, going around the underside of the crotch area.  

The two legs will make it laterally (reference the pipe), and the lashing will stabilize it longitudinally.  

The two-bys can be reused later, since you haven't done anything to them but put a couple of holes in them.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
What about a half-lap cross...1.5 feet wider per side (3 feet across) with then some diagonal braces cut at 45 degrees?
(07-02-2019, 03:17 PM)brnhornt Wrote:  Minimal footprint required to prevent a tripping hazard to others

If this is your backyard seeing normal use versus a party. I'd do this. Sorry not to scale.
Big Grin The shaded piece is the vertical 8'. The "legs" are 2x4 screwed to the vertical piece... 2' long legs should be overkill

[Image: 58AVlS4.jpg]
Mark

I'm no expert, unlike everybody else here - Busdrver

Nah...I like you, young feller...You remind me of my son... Timberwolf 03/27/12

Here's a fact: Benghazi is a Pub Legend... CharlieD 04/19/15

(07-02-2019, 03:31 PM)CLETUS Wrote: If this is your backyard seeing normal use versus a party. I'd do this. Sorry not to scale.
Big Grin The shaded piece is the vertical 8'. The "legs" are 2x4 screwed to the vertical piece... 2' long legs should be overkill

[Image: 58AVlS4.jpg]

I think that's a winner....less cuts than my half-lap idea.

Thanks all for the quick responses!
(07-02-2019, 03:31 PM)CLETUS Wrote: If this is your backyard seeing normal use versus a party. I'd do this. Sorry not to scale.
....and yeah...it's just for a 4th of July party...hence needing it to work and then be able to break down....thanks again!