2x4 Vertical Support
(07-02-2019, 03:34 PM)brnhornt Wrote: ....and yeah...it's just for a 4th of July party...hence needing it to work and then be able to break down....thanks again!

if it is not stable enough, consider adding a sand bag or two.

We did something like this for wedding signage (w/ 2x2 vertical and 1x3 horizontals).  It worked well, but needed the "sand bags" due to wind
(07-02-2019, 03:42 PM)BpB123 Wrote: if it is not stable enough, consider adding a sand bag or two.

We did something like this for wedding signage (w/ 2x2 vertical and 1x3 horizontals).  It worked well, but needed the "sand bags" due to wind

Good thought.  Thanks!
Are the ceiling joists exposed?
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(07-02-2019, 03:47 PM)Cooler Wrote: Are the ceiling joists exposed?

This is outdoors on a patio.  No ceiling joists.
5 gal bucket filled with sand around the 2x4?
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.
(07-02-2019, 05:24 PM)Phandi Wrote: 5 gal bucket filled with sand around the 2x4?

Like this, less likely to tip if bumped.

But I would eliminate the hazard entirely.  
Three post 15’ apart makes a 30’ run.  Not too far.
A couple of 8’ 2x4’s  with a hole drilled near the top.
Make a shallow divot in the soil just off each side of the patio, a couple of inches deep. (Alternately put a cross member on the bottom of the 2x).
Buy about 60’ of 1/4” nylon braided rope for $4. (Any kind will work, I’m just partial to braided)
Tie a knot on each end of the rope the distance between the divots plus about 6” for sag.  Leave enough free end on each side to stake to the ground.
Thread the rope through the holes at the top 
Place the 2x’  upright in the divot (or just stand upright) and stake straight and taut. 
Use the rope as a carrier for the tubing or as a clothesline and use short pieces of string to suspend the tubing at the appropriate height.

It would in effect be like setting up a volleyball net without the net, just the top rope.
Three 2x's to form a tri-pod.
Smirk
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Build a wall with a top plate and a bottom plate and a diagonal for racking strength.  Add a 2 x 4 to the end pieces to the bottoms so that 4' extend in each direction giving fore and aft stability.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
Have the kids hold them up while y’all party!

Laugh
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
(07-02-2019, 02:57 PM)brnhornt Wrote: Quick question.  I need to stand an eight foot 2x4 on it's end and support it vertically for just a couple of days.  What's the best/quickest design you'd use?  I'll have three of them about 15 feet apart, supporting a 1/2" water line.

My head went right to a bucket of concrete, but there has to be a better, less wasteful way.

Bucket of sand.  Sand can be used later.
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe