Paint Sprayer
(07-07-2019, 11:02 PM)bmich Wrote: I talked to some people in the store shopping for the same stuff and they mentioned that I would have to back brush the fence after spraying it.  With back brushing it and the over spray, rolling it seems like the best option.

Why?  I've never had to "back brush"  I've never heard anyone explain why.

Seems it's one of those "I've always done it that way . . ." things.  The spray comes out of the nozzle at high velocity and it hits and spreads and fills most cracks and crevices.  I've stained my house twice and never back brushed.
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
(07-09-2019, 08:04 PM)Wild Turkey Wrote: Why?  I've never had to "back brush"  I've never heard anyone explain why.

Seems it's one of those "I've always done it that way . . ." things.  The spray comes out of the nozzle at high velocity and it hits and spreads and fills most cracks and crevices.  I've stained my house twice and never back brushed.

Sometimes I back brush or roll just for the texture; so I can match it when Not Me or I Don't Know puts a big ding in the new ceiling. I've also had newbies work with a brush in one hand and the gun in the other. I tell them to just consider the airless a means to get the paint out of the bucket and on the house. Most of them figure out how to lay a nice even coat within a half-hour or so.
Sign at N.E. Vocational School Cabinetmaking Shop 1976, "Free knowledge given daily... Bring your own container"
I recently sprayed my gate arbor with a semi-transparent stain.  Didn't backbrush at all, and it looks fine.  Used a Wagner power sprayer and it was my first time ever using a power sprayer.
don't always have to backroll after spraying.   backrolling provides texture, can promote adhesion, can catch any runs from spraying too much.  but not everything needs it.

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick

Mark

(07-06-2019, 12:49 PM)doobes Wrote: I got mine from these folks: https://www.cjspray.com/graco-magnum-sprayer/

Got an X7 for the price of the X5. As mentioned above, the ability to just put a bucket on the stand and go is priceless.

those are refurb units.  if the refurb is done correctly its no big deal over new.

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick

Mark

I've got a TruCoat for smaller jobs, and for larger jobs a big airless that my FIL has been using for years and years.  He had an even better one but its so old that you can no longer get parts for it and it needs a few parts.

Mark

I cannot imagine painting an acre of privacy fence with a roller. This is a WW forum, and we're supposed to encourage each other to buy tools whether they are needed or not. This is a perfect excuse to buy an airless sprayer, do yourself a favor and pick any one you want and buy it. OP- If you don't follow my advice will you at least post a follow-up after the job is done to let me know how it went?
I have an X9 works great on my buildings.
Will do, Ill post some before and after photos. I also read that the over spray is nuts, meaning coverage goes a lot further with roller than it does with spraying. Al well, I'll see how this goes, a little bit at a time.
Turns out a 2" brush for the crevices and a 3" roller with 3/4 nap is the trick.