Help removing a stuck pulley?
If the pulley is loose I would tighten up the gear puller and then tap a small wedge in the slot
(07-10-2019, 06:49 AM)tomsteve Wrote: i dont think the innards of that motor will like THAT much heat. cant say how many frozen things ive made come loose with mapp gas and didnt have to go balls out heating.

Once I couldn't get a pulley off a spindle on a mower deck.  The puller even bend the pulley a bit.  I didn't have any kind of torch available at the time but tried a heat gun and even that helped.  It took a while to get it hot, but once it cooled, the pulley came off easily.
Thanks, gents. Got it off. Heat/impact heat/impact heat/impact until it finally came off. Each cycle only got me a few 16ths at a time, but it worked. I used a MAP torch to do it.

Once the shaft cools I'll put the smaller pulley on.

Attached Files Image(s)

Semper fi,
Brad

(07-14-2019, 07:48 PM)®smpr_fi_mac® Wrote: Thanks, gents.  Got it off.  Heat/impact heat/impact heat/impact until it finally came off.  Each cycle only got me a few 16ths at a time, but it worked.  I used a MAP torch to do it.

Once the shaft cools I'll put the smaller pulley on.
Motor shaft looks pretty blue....does the motor still run.?.I assumed you only wanted to save the pulley and not the motor.
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

Strike the end of the puller with a hammer. The shock should break it loose.
Any free advice given is worth double price paid.
(07-10-2019, 06:49 AM)tomsteve Wrote: i dont think the innards of that motor will like THAT much heat. cant say how many frozen things ive made come loose with mapp gas and didnt have to go balls out heating.

You can concentrate the heat with a small tip on an acetylene torch just around the outside hub of the collet without heating the shaft too much..hard to do that with a Map or butane torch...I have had one of the Little Torches for about 45yrs. Flame can be smaller than a match head..I used it for silversmithing.

https://www.net32.com/ec/smith-usa-littl...fEEALw_wcB

Get off my lawn !
Upset

"Motor shaft looks pretty blue....does the motor still run.?.I assumed you only wanted to save the pulley and not the motor."

Motor still runs; it's what I wanted.

I didn't heat more than a minute at a time. We'll see how long it lasts!
Semper fi,
Brad

(07-15-2019, 06:35 AM)®smpr_fi_mac® Wrote: "Motor shaft looks pretty blue....does the motor still run.?.I assumed you only wanted to save the pulley and not the motor."

Motor still runs; it's what I wanted.

I didn't heat more than a minute at a time.  We'll see how long it lasts!

Good...glad you got it off without destroying it or the motor.

Get off my lawn !
Upset

Brake grease (silicon grease) will help keep it from happening again.
Lightly sanded it to remove the rust and nicks on the key. A little bit of grease and with some tapping with a rubber mallet and it slid on.

Timberwolf--

It's a motor I salvaged from an air compressor. If it lasts a while, I'll be happy! If it dies, I'm out $25.
Semper fi,
Brad