sharpen a hollow chisel mortiser bit
I just ordered a 5/8 bit for my Delta 14-650 mortiser from Woodline here. I fully anticipate that it will need some honing before use but I'm having trouble figuring how to get the inside corners sharpened. I know you can get the cone set for this job but most I've found only recommend using on chisels up to 1/2 inch. There is a set at Lee Valley that can sharpen larger sizes but it says they are specifically designed to use with their bits. This brings up a point that an Amazon reviewer had that there's no telling the angle of the chisel or the sharpener. What's a guy to do to get an economy priced chisel bit ready for use? Has anybody ever found a bit for a rotary tool that could work? Is there an easy method of sharpening one without the cones?
How do you know you're learning anything if you don't screw up once in awhile?

My blog: http://birdsandboards.blogspot.com/
(07-08-2019, 09:13 PM)mr_skittle Wrote: I just ordered a 5/8 bit for my Delta 14-650 mortiser from Woodline here. I fully anticipate that it will need some honing before use but I'm having trouble figuring how to get the inside corners sharpened. I know you can get the cone set for this job but most I've found only recommend using on chisels up to 1/2 inch. There is a set at Lee Valley that can sharpen larger sizes but it says they are specifically designed to use with their bits. This brings up a point that an Amazon reviewer had that there's no telling the angle of the chisel or the sharpener. What's a guy to do to get an economy priced chisel bit ready for use? Has anybody ever found a bit for a rotary tool that could work? Is there an easy method of sharpening one without the cones?
One of the tapered stones from Amazon should work fine..chuck stone in your drill press and set it on high speed...clamp the chisel vertically in a vise...grind a little at a time...You can alter the angle of the stone if need be, using a diamond dressing tool. The stones come in various sizes..
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

Are you talking about one of these? Link  Any recommendations?

(07-08-2019, 10:09 PM)mr_skittle Wrote: Are you talking about one of these? Link  Any recommendations?
No....I'm talking about grinding stones for a die grinder...check amazon for "tapered grinding stones."..

Get off my lawn !
Upset

(07-08-2019, 09:13 PM)mr_skittle Wrote: I just ordered a 5/8 bit for my Delta 14-650 mortiser from Woodline here. I fully anticipate that it will need some honing before use but I'm having trouble figuring how to get the inside corners sharpened. I know you can get the cone set for this job but most I've found only recommend using on chisels up to 1/2 inch. There is a set at Lee Valley that can sharpen larger sizes but it says they are specifically designed to use with their bits. This brings up a point that an Amazon reviewer had that there's no telling the angle of the chisel or the sharpener. What's a guy to do to get an economy priced chisel bit ready for use? Has anybody ever found a bit for a rotary tool that could work? Is there an easy method of sharpening one without the cones?

I use soft cone shaped stones, and dress them to the right angle with a grinding wheel dresser. The diamond cone shaped tools  don't seem to match many chisels.
Thank you Timberwolf, I found what you were referring to. I'll have to do some digging to find the best ones. I noticed that most of them seemed to be a very coarse grit. I'm guessing that WilliamHodge is referring to the same thing. It would be great to take the chisel bit somewhere and try a few to get a good fit. Any idea what kind of store would carry a good selection of these cone stones?

(07-08-2019, 09:13 PM)mr_skittle Wrote: What's a guy to do to get an economy priced chisel bit ready for use? 

That's almost a contradiction in terms these days.

I've been struggling with mortising chisel sharpening for several decades.  I never did find anything satisfactory except a metal lathe rig with a carbide tipped boring bit.  Granted, its a little over the top, but it had gotten to be such a problem that I invested in some 5C collets with square holes.  I quickly found that the bits didn't all have the same angle so I have to do a little homework before setting up the compound to make the cut.

(07-09-2019, 04:16 PM)Bob Vaughan Wrote: That's almost a contradiction in terms these days.

I've been struggling with mortising chisel sharpening for several decades.  I never did find anything satisfactory except a metal lathe rig with a carbide tipped boring bit.  Granted, its a little over the top, but it had gotten to be such a problem that I invested in some 5C collets with square holes.  I quickly found that the bits didn't all have the same angle so I have to do a little homework before setting up the compound to make the cut.
________________________________________________________________________________________________

I would like to know more about that fixture that the 5c collet is screwed into. It looks like something I need for doing similar operations on my lathe. The tool holder that the boring bar is mounted into looks interesting too. Is it something you made or bought?
It's not always the quiet ones who don't have much to say.
(07-09-2019, 12:55 PM)mr_skittle Wrote: Thank you Timberwolf, I found what you were referring to. I'll have to do some digging to find the best ones. I noticed that most of them seemed to be a very coarse grit. I'm guessing that WilliamHodge is referring to the same thing. It would be great to take the chisel bit somewhere and try a few to get a good fit. Any idea what kind of store would carry a good selection of these cone stones?

I would check with Shars, or McMasters...

Get off my lawn !
Upset

I have no experience in this arena but my first thoughts are a wooden dowel, adhesive backed sandpaper and a fine touch by hand....