sharpen a hollow chisel mortiser bit
"I would like to know more about that fixture that the 5c collet is screwed into. It looks like something I need for doing similar operations on my lathe. The tool holder that the boring bar is mounted into looks interesting too. Is it something you made or bought?"

The collet holder is from a cheapie 5C collet block set.  Google it and you'll see what it is.
The tool holder is one I made that goes from 1" OD to 1/2" bore to fit the Aloris tool holder. 
There's usually a slight wobble this way but the Dremel stays with it.  Wood lathe users are comfortable with sharp spinning things and this method takes less than a minute.  I tried two different chucks.  I like the long grinding stone.  I think a shorter one may be a little more risky.  I use a relatively slow speed.

(07-10-2019, 12:17 PM)Bob Vaughan Wrote: There's usually a slight wobble this way but the Dremel stays with it.  Wood lathe users are comfortable with sharp spinning things and this method takes less than a minute.  I tried two different chucks.  I like the long grinding stone.  I think a shorter one may be a little more risky.  I use a relatively slow speed.

Kinda what I was thinking using my four jaw independent chuck. I have a set of 5c collets and the chuck but dont have the square ones...Probably an overkill because I am pretty sure just a tapered stone in a drill chuck will do the job if it just needs to be sharpened..No need to "jig up" for that.
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

(07-08-2019, 09:13 PM)mr_skittle Wrote: I just ordered a 5/8 bit for my Delta 14-650 mortiser from Woodline here. I fully anticipate that it will need some honing before use but I'm having trouble figuring how to get the inside corners sharpened. I know you can get the cone set for this job but most I've found only recommend using on chisels up to 1/2 inch. There is a set at Lee Valley that can sharpen larger sizes but it says they are specifically designed to use with their bits. This brings up a point that an Amazon reviewer had that there's no telling the angle of the chisel or the sharpener. What's a guy to do to get an economy priced chisel bit ready for use? Has anybody ever found a bit for a rotary tool that could work? Is there an easy method of sharpening one without the cones?

https://www.amazon.com/Taytools-468440-M...138&sr=8-6

Found this to work just fine for me but most of the time I'm only using 5/16 or 3/8 on my machine. Then flat on the outsides with a diamond plate or two. And finally use a proper auger file to deal with the bit. I've used diamond paddle files for the bit in a pinch.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
(07-10-2019, 01:39 PM)Rob Young Wrote: https://www.amazon.com/Taytools-468440-M...138&sr=8-6

Found this to work just fine for me but most of the time I'm only using 5/16 or 3/8 on my machine. Then flat on the outsides with a diamond plate or two. And finally use a proper auger file to deal with the bit. I've used diamond paddle files for the bit in a pinch.
Very good option, IMO......
Yes
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

I've seen the ones like you mentioned Rob, but the specs say they are for bits no bigger than 1/2 inch. Do you have a bit bigger than 1/2 inch that you've ever tried to sharpen? Or maybe just one you could check for a decent fit. I really just need to wait for the thing to arrive so I can assess the work it'll take to get it working good. Maybe it just needs a hone like the diamond cones are good for but I'm worried that it'll need to be sharpened with a more aggressive abrasive.

I'm realizing that above 1/2 inch, motriser bits get a little trickery to find, especially with the right shaft diameter. I ended up buying from Woodline because it was the only place I could find one to fit my old Delta. I just need it for one specific task on a craft I'm working on to sell. I need to put a 5/8in hole in some 1/2in cherry. I tried the drill press and chisel method but it's not efficient at all to batch out parts like I need to do. Besides that, It's in a location that is dangerously close to the end of the board and my prototypes have had some blowout from vigorous chiseling.
How do you know you're learning anything if you don't screw up once in awhile?

My blog: http://birdsandboards.blogspot.com/
(07-10-2019, 08:38 PM)mr_skittle Wrote: I've seen the ones like you mentioned Rob, but the specs say they are for bits no bigger than 1/2 inch. Do you have a bit bigger than 1/2 inch that you've ever tried to sharpen? Or maybe just one you could check for a decent fit. I really just need to wait for the thing to arrive so I can assess the work it'll take to get it working good. Maybe it just needs a hone like the diamond cones are good for but I'm worried that it'll need to be sharpened with a more aggressive abrasive.

I'm realizing that above 1/2 inch, motriser bits get a little trickery to find, especially with the right shaft diameter. I ended up buying from Woodline because it was the only place I could find one to fit my old Delta.  I just need it for one specific task on a craft I'm working on to sell. I need to put a 5/8in hole in some 1/2in cherry. I tried the drill press and chisel method but it's not efficient at all to batch out parts like I need to do. Besides that, It's in a location that is dangerously close to the end of the board and my prototypes have had some blowout from vigorous chiseling.

I haven't used the 1/2" bit in my machine. A few reasons, first is I don't often build things that require 1/2" M&T and when I do, it is usually just a few so I hand-chop. And second, my machine is a bit of a weak squeaker. It is an old "Central Machinery" (i.e. Harbor Freight) copy of the Delta. While I've re-built it and it has plenty of power for 1/4" and 5/16" it starts to bog at 3/8".

But once sharp, the stock blade and augers (smaller sizes) seem just fine. I'll make a note to touch up the 1/2" and give it a go if I find the time this weekend.
Thanks Rob. I'm in the same boat as you typically using those smaller bits. But as I said this is a one-off sort of task that I need to make efficient. Otherwise I would just hand cut them. I'm just curious how the daimond cones fits 1/2 inch bit and if they would accommodate a 5/8 inch bit or not.

(07-11-2019, 09:13 AM)mr_skittle Wrote: Thanks Rob. I'm in the same boat as you typically using those smaller bits. But as I said this is a one-off sort of task that I need to make efficient. Otherwise I would just hand cut them. I'm just curious how the daimond cones fits 1/2 inch bit and if they would accommodate a 5/8 inch bit or not.

Quick google search turned up a picture in this LJ thread about the same set. Appears the top of the cone is 3/4" (seems about right from memory) so it should be OK for 1/2"

https://www.lumberjocks.com/reviews/11982
Thanks for the link Rob. That post told me exactly what I was looking for. Namely, the max diameter of the cone. I would say that if the max diameter is 3/4, it should work fine on a 5/8 hollow chisel. I put a set in my amazon basket today. Now I'm very curious to see if the angles on the inside of the chisel and the cone match up. There is an Amazon review complaining that those cones didn't match his hollow chisels. The chisel set will arrive today and the cones in two days, so I'll find out soon enough.

Now a quick word on google searches... I spent a couple of hours searching for info on this topic and did find a few threads over at LJ, just not the one you found Rob. It's all about the search terms you use. I get so frustrated sometimes because I know what I'm looking for is out there somewhere on "the Web", but I'm just not hitting the right search terms. Same goes for WN here. I know I've asked questions that have been answered many times before but the search feature on the forum can be so frustrating with search results. It's often much easier just to start a new thread. Oh well. The battle to harness the full power of the internet continues.....