A.C. enclosure fail
I have a through the wall air conditioner in my living room.  The inside is not particularly attractive, but the exterior, which is on my rear deck is decidedly unattractive.

I decided to make an enclosure to hide the AC. 

The AC is bounded on the left side by an exterior wall (about 4" clearance) and above by the soffit (about 1" clearance).  I used plastic lattice on the right side about 8" from the AC and to the rear also about 8" from the A.C.  The bottom remained open.

I would have thought that the open lattice and the free space would have provided plenty of air circulation.  That proved not to be the case.  After about 10 minutes the AC stopped blowing cold. 

I turned off the A.C. and removed the rear lattice and then ran it again.  It ran fine after that.

Other than running a fan to cool the AC, what other enclosure options do I have?

Note:  The lattice I used had holes the same size as the lattice strips:  about 1¾" square.  So it cut circulation by about 75%.  The open lattice has openings 2-7/8" square, but would not do much to hide the A.C.[Image: black-veranda-vinyl-lattice-73004497-fa_1000.jpg]

[Image: black-vinyl-lattice-222602-fa_1000.jpg]

[Image: black-veranda-vinyl-lattice-73004497-fa_1000.jpg]
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
I wonder if a dark colored screen/window wire would work.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(07-11-2019, 10:25 AM)Stwood_ Wrote: I wonder if a dark colored screen/window wire would work.

Or the old fashioned "hardware cloth" painted.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Yes.
Make a top and front panel with screen/wire.
Leave the ends/bottom open...
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

I'm thinking vertical slats about 2½" wide set on a 30º angle about 2" on center.  That would reduce the circulation 1/4" every 2" or about 12.5% reduction in air flow.

Any thoughts?
I suspect that you have created a recirculating problem. The hot discharge air is being redirected into the intakes. Look at the airflow in and out of the unit and consider some internal panels to keep those air streams separate.
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

(07-11-2019, 10:57 AM)Cooler Wrote: I'm thinking vertical slats about 2½" wide set on a 30º angle about 2" on center.  That would reduce the circulation 1/4" every 2" or about 12.5% reduction in air flow.

Any thoughts?

Right, but will also increase resistance due to the depth.
I think I will leave it open.  It has been open for the first 20 years I am living here.  I was installing new soffits and lights on the deck and I thought I would "pretty it up". 

I am leaving one side panel in place so it will help some.  It does not seem to interfere with the function like the rear panel did.
What blackhat said.

Do nothing to the top at all, at least for 5 feet above it and any partitions.

Keeping 8" away with an open lattice as you mentioned at the sides should be ok.

Be sure and make everything easily removable for servicing the unit.

Believe it or not, I had someone place a picnic table over the condenser to keep the rain out. The condensers do just fine in the weather and need no protection except from corrosive dog pee.
(07-11-2019, 05:17 PM)daddo Wrote: What blackhat said.

Do nothing to the top at all, at least for 5 feet above it and any partitions.

Keeping 8" away with an open lattice as you mentioned at the sides should be ok.

Be sure and make everything easily removable for servicing the unit.

Believe it or not, I had someone place a picnic table over the condenser to keep the rain out. The condensers do just fine in the weather and need no protection except from corrosive dog pee.

I replaced the original A.C. about 13 years ago with the one that is in the wall now.  The hole was already in the wall, and the soffit and the left side wall are fairly close to the  unit.  I will measure those clearances when I get home.  I added the right side lattice and a 8" wide strip of vinyl soffit to control the water splashing onto the window.  It would leave the window sill wet and I was concerned about mold and wood rot. 

It was only when I added the lattice to the rear that I had problems. It could be that the limited circulation on the top and the sides made the final panel a "straw that broke the camel's back". 

It is still an eyesore now that I removed the rear panel.  I will probably leave the rear panel off. 

Removal is just 6 screws, so I am not too worried about it.  When I replace the AC it will be in place for 10+ years, so it is not a big deal.

Thanks for all the responses.

Cooler