Used Jointer Questions
(07-12-2019, 11:01 PM)ajkoontz Wrote: Wow, unanimous consensus on the DJ-20. Hope I’m didn’t wait too long and miss it. FWIW, my buddy is trying to preserve the integrity of the auction, it’s not totally about the money. He’s gotta liquidate his entire shop for family reasons, so kind of a lot going on with him.

Let us know what you wind up with.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
For under $1k I purchased and rehabbed a century and a quarter old 12" jointer.

Have you considered this route?
Semper fi,
Brad

(07-13-2019, 10:15 AM)fredhargis Wrote: Let us know what you wind up with.
Norm sold another jointer yesterday......

(07-13-2019, 03:10 PM)®smpr_fi_mac® Wrote: For under $1k I purchased and rehabbed a century and a quarter old 12" jointer.

Have you considered this route?

I have. I love old arn but just don't have the room for anything bigger. It's pushing it for me to make room for an 8".
Congrats...are the fence and guard MIA?
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(07-15-2019, 07:37 AM)fredhargis Wrote: Congrats...are the fence and guard MIA?

It's complete, I just didn't get it all put back together. Got to see it run before I bought it, so hopefully no surprises. It's not going to win any beauty pageants, but I think she's got it where it counts. I plan on adding a byrd head at which point I'll be all in for just under a grand. Not a huge savings over a new Grizzly, especially if you factor in cosmetics, but like my earlier post alluded to I've wanted a DJ-20 since I was a teenager watching Norm use his on the NYW.
(07-15-2019, 07:58 AM)ajkoontz Wrote: It's complete, I just didn't get it all put back together. Got to see it run before I bought it, so hopefully no surprises. It's not going to win any beauty pageants, but I think she's got it where it counts. I plan on adding a byrd head at which point I'll be all in for just under a grand. Not a huge savings over a new Grizzly, especially if you factor in cosmetics, but like my earlier post alluded to I've wanted a DJ-20 since I was a teenager watching Norm use his on the NYW.

Good for you.  I know, I may start a flame war, but I really don't see the need for a byrd head on a jointer; a planer perhaps, but with a set of new knives, with a touchup from time to time, mine does just fine.  Think about it, everything you face joint gets put into the planer anyway, and maybe its my habit of jointing edges before final glue up/assembly with a #7, but I've never seen a need for a new head.  But congrats on your purchase, you must be pleased.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
I like it very much.  The rust, etc just adds to the character.  Congrats on the acquisition at a good price.
(07-15-2019, 08:09 AM)Admiral Wrote: Good for you.  I know, I may start a flame war, but I really don't see the need for a byrd head on a jointer; a planer perhaps, but with a set of new knives, with a touchup from time to time, mine does just fine.  Think about it, everything you face joint gets put into the planer anyway, and maybe its my habit of jointing edges before final glue up/assembly with a #7, but I've never seen a need for a new head.  But congrats on your purchase, you must be pleased.

Good food for thought. I'll probably start with a new set of knives before I take the plunge.
(07-15-2019, 07:58 AM)ajkoontz Wrote: It's not going to win any beauty pageants, but I think she's got it where it counts. 

Buy a brand new bulldozer, put it to work, and it looks like a not brand new bulldozer in a week.  But it's still brand new where it counts.  
Laugh
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"