Yankee 131a screwdriver

Does anyone know where I can purchase a replacement spring for a Yankee 131a. Thanks.
  Re: Yankee 131a screwdriver by perchriver (Does anyone know whe...)
You can contact the various old tool sellers, but it might be hard.  Your hardware store may have a selection of springs; you might see if you can find one that works. You're not going to find anyone to sell you a brand new factory spring, as far as I know, unless Professor Peabody has set up a side line in old tool parts brought back on the Wayback Machine.
Yeah, unfortunately the only way is to find another 131; or find a spring in the bottom of a tool box, as many original owners removed the spring for some reason, I've found many that have had the spring taken out. I'll check to see if I have a donor (don't think so), but its a donor you need as these springs were pretty specific to the tool.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(07-14-2019, 08:10 AM)perchriver Wrote: Does anyone know where I can purchase a replacement spring for a Yankee 131a.  Thanks.

I have refurbished a number of old drills and braces. Often a spring or spring wire piece is missing. I just go to the hardware store and usually find a piece that is similar enough to use. Perhaps some modification to the bought piece is need, but usually this is something simple. So far so good.
  Re: RE: Yankee 131a screwdriver by Admiral (Yeah, unfortunately ...)
(07-14-2019, 01:18 PM)Admiral Wrote: ...many original owners removed the spring for some reason...
The spring wanted to work all the time.  If you were doing rough work, this was fine, but a trim carpenter didn't want the screwdriver dancing all over freshly painted/varnished woodwork in the screwdriver slipped out of the slot, so s/he would remove the spring to increase control.
  Re: RE: Yankee 131a screwdriver by Bill_Houghton ([quote='Admiral' pid...)
(07-14-2019, 03:54 PM)Bill_Houghton Wrote: The spring wanted to work all the time.  If you were doing rough work, this was fine, but a trim carpenter didn't want the screwdriver dancing all over freshly painted/varnished woodwork in the screwdriver slipped out of the slot, so s/he would remove the spring to increase control.

They were also sold without the return spring.
  Re: RE: Yankee 131a screwdriver by rfd8w5 ([quote='Bill_Houghto...)
(07-14-2019, 04:01 PM)rfd8w5 Wrote: They were also sold without the return spring.

Yes, for carpenters who had already figured out that the spring didn't work for their purposes.
  Re: RE: Yankee 131a screwdriver by rfd8w5 ([quote='Bill_Houghto...)
(07-14-2019, 04:01 PM)rfd8w5 Wrote: They were also sold without the return spring.
Usually without the "1" upfront, so that a "31" was the same as a "131" but without the return spring.

Paul
Paul
They were right, I SHOULDN'T have tried it at home!