New Decking, at Least
  Re: New Decking, at Least by hbmcc (About three/four yea...)
Our rainy season rolled into town on the tails of the biggest lightning storm this region has seen in years. Seeing at most 10 lightning storms a year, 440 strikes an hour and heads to 36,000 feet is noteworthy, especially while standing in line waiting for dinner at a balloon light festival. The balloons didn't have a competing chance. They ducked out early.

Our spit-and-piddle rain doesn't bother me but tends to play havoc with the tools I use. A leaky umbrella is little help. So, the deck progress will slow even more, and painting likely be delayed until next June, or July, when things dry out.
  Re: New Decking, at Least by hbmcc (About three/four yea...)
The 'Flip' is closed.

I have various block planes but always fall back to my favorite "Heinz", the Millers Falls #57 'Hybrid'. (A likely No. 47 knuckle buster switch.) It sharpens easily, stays sharp, and just performs like a dream. I was going to use it to shape the butt ends of the step boards but decided cleaning up after installing the decking would serve best.

Stripping the last 5/6 feet that served as the main staging area through the summer. Well, it shrank as new deck approached. 

Once decked, the edge band needs kerfing and be installed. Then it's fiddly stuff before closing for winter. Stain or finish will happen next summer.

There are about fifteen years of bulbs in the pot and it is overflowing with accumulated potting soil. We need to rebuild it and figure out a safer way to keep it on the deck, in the corner. It's an institution. Taller tripod-feet? Flashing and scupper?

I may add an image of the six-inch edge banding when installed, but the view will be broken. As to design and engineering the band will clean up the deck edge and conceal the open main deck ends without having wood jammed into wood.