Woodsmith Experience
We will be in Des Moines, IA for a couple days later this month for a family get together. Yesterday I stumbled across a video of the Woodsmith shop. At the tail end an invitation was extended to anyone who happens to be in the area to stop by for a tour.

I contacted Woodsmith subscription services and they connected me to Phil Huber's voice mail. I left a message and 10 minutes later got a call from Mr. Huber. He gave instructions on how to set up a tour of the shop. Basically call him when we have an approximate arrival time.

Kudos to Woodsmith for this type of response.

Bill
Is this the Woodsmith shop they use to create the shop tips they send out each week?  I wouldn't mind taking a tour of that.  Looks well appointed.
Sounds like a hospitable host.

I once contacted a better known woodworker about the possibility of visiting his shop on my way to a destination. His office gave me a response, telling me he was busy most of the time, but he would be happy to have my company if I was planning to take a private class (for a few hours?) with him. Of course, "Thanks, but no thanks" was the only reply I could send out.

Simon
Years ago one of my buddies worked for Woodsmith as a graphic artist. He invited me for a tour of their campus. Almost everything they'd ever built was on display. That's when the "bug" bit me. That was about 30 years ago. Now I have a shop full of tools - some of which I even know how to use!

BTW, the Wood Magazine offices are just down the road a few blocks. They also have an awesome shop. Call them for a tour, as well.
(07-15-2019, 12:24 PM)stav Wrote: Is this the Woodsmith shop they use to create the shop tips they send out each week?  I wouldn't mind taking a tour of that.  Looks well appointed.

Same same.

They are also the ones who used to have this web site to.  If you have been to wood working tools or hand tools or turning forums you will see where Vince did an interview with me for the coming Woodshop magazine magazine coming out in Sept.

When Vince did the interview he also gave me and the vets they two thumb drives with one being all the shop notes and the other having all the Woodsmith mags.

Yep nice guys and over they years I have sent them emails telling them how much I love the show and this site as well.
Just meeting Vince he is a swell guy and I am sure the rest are just like him.

I would LOVE to be there when they are taping the show and watch it there.  That would be great.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Arlin:

We will give you a short report when we see you on Sunday afternoon.

Bill
For years we have welcomed visitors to stop by for a tour of our magazine offices and the working shop where all the projects for the magazine are built. In the past, the video studio where the TV show was filmed was at a separate location and not really open to the public. But we are in the process of moving the video studio into the same building as our photo studio and shop, so everything will now be at one location.

If you are traveling through Des Moines and would like to see our facility, just give our customer service department a call and they will set you up. The "tours" are very informal -- just one of us walking you through the place and explaining a little bit about how we put the magazine together.
Vince Ancona
WoodNet Moderator
Editor, Woodsmith Magazine
It is definitely worth the trip! I've been three times.

Carriage house doors at the Des Moines property--inside are many, many finished projects that were featured in the AH magazines.

A memento of the first year of the Off Topic forum history. Presented to the Admin folks during a visit.

A memento of the  first year of Admin Moderator history. The wording on the base reads  POST STOP. Presented to the Admin folks during a visit.
(07-22-2019, 03:47 PM)K. L McReynolds Wrote: It is definitely worth the trip! I've been three times.

Carriage house doors at the Des Moines property--inside are many, many finished projects that were featured in the AH magazines.

A memento of the first year of the Off Topic forum history. Presented to the Admin folks during a visit.

A memento of the  first year of Admin Moderator history. The wording on the base reads  POST STOP. Presented to the Admin folks during a visit.

That takes me back! It was a lot of fun hosting you guys for that event. I remember that Gordon got a big kick out of it. Dave Arbuckle was not at all what I expected...

Unfortunately, the carriage house is no longer part of our facility. We moved out of that building a couple of years ago as part of the recent downsizing under our new owners. It was a great space!
Vince Ancona
WoodNet Moderator
Editor, Woodsmith Magazine