Which gouge should I use?
I turned a base for a table today and wasn't careful enough about keeping the segmented rings concentric. I had enough runout that my 5/8" bowl gouge was kicking and bumping with every revolution and it really beat me up. I eventually got it round and then to shape but it was not fun.

Would a heavier tool like a big roughing gouge work on a segmented piece? With no end grain, I would think it might work but I don't have one to try.

Would something else work better?
We do segmented turning, not because it is easy, but because it is hard.
Never tried a spindle roughing gouge since the grain is perpendicular to what it is normally used for but you could try it and report your findings.

I generally will start with a bowl gouge, but will sometimes switch to a scraper or Easy Rougher, particularly for the interior.
Cellulose runs through my veins!
(07-16-2019, 08:08 AM)SteveS Wrote: Never tried a spindle roughing gouge since the grain is perpendicular to what it is normally used for but you could try it and report your findings.

Well, not really.  The edge should cut across and peel down if you're using the tool properly.  I like broad sweep types, because I can get some wide shavings off the piece.  Since I'm working downhill, broad means a generous amount of wood is being removed.  Swing the tool into the cut, using your off hand as a pivot, and simultaneously drop the handle to provide a bit of skew to the leading edge before you advance the tool while holding it firmly to the rest.  If your shape is not round after the first swing, make a second to get the corners off enough to keep from whacking the heel of the tool before proceeding. 

Note the photo shows the cut on endgrain.

The usual rules apply,  Minimize overhang and maximize mechanical advantage.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
I recently made a tall urn and while it takes some additional time I glue up each ring one at a time. This urn had 19 rings but I made it in 3 sections. So it was about an extra week.

One of the problems with a huge glue up is everything can shift so you can glue 2 rings at a time. Ex, glue 1-2, 3-4, etc. Then 1-2 to 3-4, etc. this way you can use one of the rings as a guide to center the other ring.

As for rounding the urn. I get my sharp 5/8 bowl gouge turn the speed up to around 1000 rpm or so and present the gouge at 90 degrees. I barely touch the wood just enough to take off the tips of the segments. Once the tips are gone you can start rounding it more aggressively.

I hope this helps a bit.
Don