Preference on how to make cabinet door panels
I am in the process of milling up the inserts for my kitchen cabinet doors.  I could easily use plywood but my whole intention for my kitchen cabinets was to use the Willow Oak (Red Oak) from a tree I had removed from my front yard back in 2017 to build the majority of my cabinets.  The largest panel is going to be 18" wide...I know how these panels will be made...book matched.  But several other cabinets have double doors and each insert for both doors are less than 13" wide.

My band saw can re-saw up to 13" wide.  Would you re-saw a full 13" panel to book match each door on the double door cabinets or would you book match each panel for each door?

I know this probably just preference on how you would do it but I'm looking for opinions or what would be the better way to approach making the door panels.

To give you an idea of my kitchen and door lay out......

If it was me, I wood book match all the panels for consistency, and because Miss T and I love the mirror image look.  But if you have a few panels with a nice pattern that will fit in without it? 
Big Grin
Jim in Okie
You can tell a lot about the character of a man -
By the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.
Duana, I built my kitchen from Curly Hard Maple about 4 years ago. Every panel was book-matched from rough sawn boards 8-10" wide.

[Image: KitchenComplete_html_1b7aa2cc.jpg]

[Image: KitchenComplete_html_m7d30b8fc.jpg]

[Image: KitchenComplete_html_m4aa51066.jpg]

[Image: KitchenComplete_html_3728fbb2.jpg]

Frames ....

[Image: Kitchen-Rebuild-html-789a879a.jpg]

... were filled with 1/4" thick book-matched panels ....

[Image: Kitchen-Rebuild-html-4bd3d5df.jpg]

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
What ever looks best to you, but can you face joint a 13" wide board?  A planer sled would work, too, I suppose.  

John
Whichever way you prefer I guess.
Myself, I don't like the seam/joint in the middle of a panel, bookmatch or not.
If I have to do a glueup for a panel, I try to get the color/shade the same at the glue joint, to hide it.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(07-19-2019, 12:20 PM)jteneyck Wrote: What ever looks best to you, but can you face joint a 13" wide board?  A planer sled would work, too, I suppose.  

John

My planer will do up to a 13" wide board.  I use a planer sled as a jointer and it seems to work very well.
Thanks everyone.  I ended up re-sawing 1 set of 10 1/2" wide panels and 1 set of 12 7/8" wide panels.  So that's the route I'm taking except for the panels over 13" wide....
(07-19-2019, 07:32 AM)Derek Cohen Wrote: Duana, I built my kitchen from Curly Hard Maple about 4 years ago. Every panel was book-matched from rough sawn boards 8-10" wide.

[Image: KitchenComplete_html_1b7aa2cc.jpg]

[Image: KitchenComplete_html_m7d30b8fc.jpg]

[Image: KitchenComplete_html_m4aa51066.jpg]

[Image: KitchenComplete_html_3728fbb2.jpg]

Frames ....

[Image: Kitchen-Rebuild-html-789a879a.jpg]

... were filled with 1/4" thick book-matched panels ....

[Image: Kitchen-Rebuild-html-4bd3d5df.jpg]

Regards from Perth

Derek

Very nice workmanship.
Really nice work.  I love book matching - do it where you can.  BUT - only WW'ers will appreciate it.  You will love it every time you go into the kitchen for sure.  So - do it for you. 

It's sort of when we make a mistake and fix it no one will know - except us of course - your eye will draw to the fix every time.   In this case - your eye will notice if you don't book match a pair. Of course if you have an odd number that will be tough.
John

Always use the right tool for the job.

We need to clean house.
Another vote for simple flat panels. I have made raised panels and plant-on panels, but the flat panel still looks very good, and you have lots to make. I edge-glued 4" wide pieces, each about 5/16" thick to make these:

That's also red oak.
Rip to width. Plane to thickness. Cut to length. Join.