Preference on how to make cabinet door panels
(07-22-2019, 08:40 PM)Edwin Hackleman Wrote: Another vote for simple flat panels. I have made raised panels and plant-on panels, but the flat panel still looks very good, and you have lots to make. I edge-glued 4" wide pieces, each about 5/16" thick to make these:

That's also red oak.

There ya go. Consistent color. No white/sap streaks running through the middle of the panel.
That's the way I like panels, either flat or raised.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

I ended up either book matching each panel on the 2 door cabinets or book matching each panel for each door.  The single doors were made from off cuts and I had to go through a lot of Oak to get panels that I liked without a lot or none at all of sap wood and no knots.

These haven't been finish sanded just rough fit at the moment.
Duane, it looks like you are glued up. If not, I always finish the panels beforehand. Otherwise any shrinkage can expose unfinished edges around the groove.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
(07-23-2019, 07:01 PM)Derek Cohen Wrote: Duane, it looks like you are glued up. If not, I always finish the panels beforehand. Otherwise any shrinkage can expose unfinished edges around the groove.

Regards from Perth

Derek

I plan on pre-finishing the panels before glue up.
Yes
(07-24-2019, 02:39 AM)Duane N Wrote: I plan on pre-finishing the panels before glue up.
Yes
Well, if I remember right, the rule is that if you are using stub tenon and mortise construction for the door frames, the glue all goes on the frame connections and almost no glue reaches the panel. That means the panel dos not have to be pre-finished. Just a thought.
Rip to width. Plane to thickness. Cut to length. Join.
(07-24-2019, 03:43 PM)Edwin Hackleman Wrote: Well, if I remember right, the rule is that if you are using stub tenon and mortise construction for the door frames, the glue all goes on the frame connections and almost no glue reaches the panel. That means the panel dos not have to be pre-finished. Just a thought.

That's sort of right.  Some of the finish will get into the grove and cover the panel - depends on the finish and how you apply.  I am currently doing a head baord using sycamore.  I don't know how much it will expand/contract so I am prefinishing the panels.  For QS wo maybe you don't need to; I did that for an island I made for my daughter. 

My front door at my old house the panels contracted enough to see where the finish didn't cover - that was maple.
John

Always use the right tool for the job.

We need to clean house.