Cherry bowl mistake with burl.

Just finished the outside and inside of this old cherry blank I had and screwed up when mounting the face plate to turn the tennon but wasn't willing to reverse the top and bottom I had selected so what do you think about my fix? I realize it matters little now as I've already completed the bowl accept removing the tennon.
Name the project after a constellation, and suddenly there was no screwup.
Big Grin

Looks good to me!
Dave Arbuckle was kind enough to create a Sketchup model of my WorkMate benchtop: http://www.arbolloco.com/sketchup/MauleSkinnerBenchtop.skp
That is called "Releasing the Spirit."

Uh, I have "released" the Spirit on more than one occasion.

GM
The only tool I have is a lathe.  Everything else is an accessory.
Looks good to me. Don't tell anyone and they won't know. What did you use for the finish? I like the shine of it.
The finished product is always perzactly what you had in mind when you started.
That's my story and I'm sticking with it!

GM
The only tool I have is a lathe.  Everything else is an accessory.
I'm a little confused about what I'm seeing. Are the white spots little holes in a very thin bowl?
We do segmented turning, not because it is easy, but because it is hard.
(07-22-2019, 08:48 AM)SceneryMaker Wrote: I'm a little confused about what I'm seeing.  Are the white spots little holes in a very thin bowl?

I think he initally screwed the faceplate into the outside vs. the interior of the blank, so what you're seeing are filled in holes from the screws.  I don't know that I've ever turned anything using that many screws.  Looks OK to me.  I probably would have tried to fill the holes using dust from the original turning mixed with CA.  Maybe pre-fill the holes on the back side with epoxy.  Either way, the bol turned out nice.  I like the burl.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(07-21-2019, 02:12 PM)Turner52 Wrote: Looks good to me. Don't tell anyone and they won't know. What did you use for the finish? I like the shine of it.
Thanks Turner. the finish is Minwax gloss wipe on poly,  sanded back with 600 grit between coats and 6- 8 coats.
(07-22-2019, 02:05 PM)AHill Wrote:

I think he initally screwed the faceplate into the outside vs. the interior of the blank, so what you're seeing are filled in holes from the screws.  I don't know that I've ever turned anything using that many screws.  Looks OK to me.  I probably would have tried to fill the holes using dust from the original turning mixed with CA.  Maybe pre-fill the holes on the back side with epoxy.  Either way, the bol turned out nice.  I like the burl.

Your exactly right I screwed the Face plate Ring 5" Nova into the wrong side it was the outside and I didn't want to waste away what I thought would be the most burl as it was   on the bark side of the blank.
All the screws were needed as it is 18 1/2 " diameter finished and weighed somewhere around 60 lbs or more once cut into a round on my bandsaw. I used a nova titan chuck and face plate ring that was 5" I'll be sure and post some pics once I return the foot. I already turned the other blank from that log section attached is a shot of how they looked coming off the band saw. Needless to say I think the 12 screws were needed.
With someting that size I would put in every screw I could. On my face plate, I usually leave the screwed in waste on the face plate all of the time and glue whatever to that. I always put all 8 screws into the waste plate. After about a year I usulayy will replace or just rotate the waste block so screws are going into new wood. I have noticed after a while the screws will not bite like they should I guess a few thousand times going from a standstill up to turning RPM's takes it's toll.