Cool Shop storage idea
(07-23-2019, 01:19 PM)MarkSingleton Wrote: You would need to limit the height on each shelf, so that there
was clearance.
The video seemed to "jump" a bit as he swung
them down near the end.

I suppose there are situations where it would work, but it seems
to me that there must be an easier method.

Same as you do for fixed shelving
Smile
You do have to make sure there are no interfering utilities/ducts/framing members above the joists that might compromise the "headroom" in the stored position...
Yikes! Obviously that guy is a young YOUNG buck. The rest of us need new shoulders--from doing the same when we were young--or will after setting that thing up.
Brilliant!  His attention to detail and all the safety features are top notch.  I wish I had exposed rafters in my garage shop.  Alas, my garage shop sits below a bedroom on the second floor.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(07-22-2019, 01:30 PM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: It is not an efficient system at all: it is no good for storing heavier tools unless you have pop eyes's kind of arms; it uses the overhead space but at the sacrifice of the wall space; and it is no good if the containers need to be stored in an upright position.

Simon

He did mention a couple of times he was going to install gas struts to assist in opening and closing.  He could also have easily suspended the shelves from a lower point, giving him more headspace to store taller items.  I've no doubt he thought through this project from the beginning, and sized everything to accommodate the items he intended to store there.

Adapt. Improvise. Overcome.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(07-24-2019, 06:50 AM)AHill Wrote: He did mention a couple of times he was going to install gas struts to assist in opening and closing.  He could also have easily suspended the shelves from a lower point, giving him more headspace to store taller items.  I've no doubt he thought through this project from the beginning, and sized everything to accommodate the items he intended to store there.

Adapt. Improvise. Overcome.

Kinda what I was thinking...
"One should respect public opinion insofar as is necessary to avoid starvation and keep out of prison, but anything that goes beyond this is voluntary submission to an unnecessary tyrany, and is likely to interfere with happiness in all kinds of ways."
Storage systems must be simple to implement in my book as I am a simple woodworker interested in building furniture only.

I know a fellow who could spend days making his own set of wooden clamps when I would rather throw money at getting a set off the shelf. Life is too short for me to reinvent the wheel.

Simon
(07-25-2019, 12:05 AM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: Life is too short for me to reinvent the wheel.

True, but some wheels won't always fit the application.

Like you, I like to build furniture. But I get a lot of enjoyment out of building something useful for my shop, or home or garage. Whether it's storage, a jig, or whatever - it's a project. And I find satisfaction in that.

I find as much value in the process as the project...

Dave
"One should respect public opinion insofar as is necessary to avoid starvation and keep out of prison, but anything that goes beyond this is voluntary submission to an unnecessary tyrany, and is likely to interfere with happiness in all kinds of ways."
(07-25-2019, 05:23 PM)Big Dave Wrote: I find as much value in the process as the project...

Dave

I am well past the stage of enjoying the process like I used to when I started learning how to use hand tools. Now, efficiency is usually on the top whether using power or hand tools. That is why some people don't understand why I spend money on four blades (honed at different angles) instead of one, because I do not want to stop in the middle of a job to have my blade sharpened. I no longer build or add shelves to keep my growing stock of lumber or supplies...I get a  storage system that I can afford. What do I enjoy? The starting of the next new project...the anticipation of complications and challenges ahead, and, after a break of weeks if not months, the beginning of another new build to design and to sweat on.

Simon
(07-23-2019, 01:19 PM)MarkSingleton Wrote: .....I suppose there are situations where it would work, but it seems
to me that there must be an easier method.

I installed three rows of 2' x 4' steel shelving along 32 lin. ft. of my shop wall and didn't lose any floor space That's 288 sq. ft. of storage (about equal to a whole garage bay). The bottom row is 7' off the floor; above a door and three windows. They're supported by the wall and ceiling, and there's fluorescent lights mounted to the bottom. I can reach the front of the bottom shelf, so things I use frequently have found a home there. The ladder is always nearby, but someday a rolling ladder (like those in old libraries) will make it to the top of the list.
Sign at N.E. Vocational School Cabinetmaking Shop 1976, "Free knowledge given daily... Bring your own container"