Bookshelf speakers
I need a set of bookshelf speakers. I would like to build them myself. Does anyone have suggestions or even plans? If you know of a place that I could buy plans I would like to know. Also I need all electronics. Any help would be appreciated.
BAT

A man wearing a helmet defending our nation should make more money than a man wearing a helmet playing games!
(07-22-2019, 09:46 PM)Bobby Thompson Wrote: I need a set of bookshelf speakers. I would like to build them myself. Does anyone have suggestions or even plans? If you know of a place that I could buy plans I would like to know. Also I need all electronics. Any help would be appreciated.

This is a good place to inquire

Audio Asylum

It will help to know your budget and what your source and amp are.
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
I made a subwoofer years ago.  Can't recall where I got the parts, but wanted to say the wood working part was very easy -  very simple joinery.  The plans laid out where to cut the hole for the speaker, and in my case, where to cut the holes in the rear for the amp, and how much insulation to use.

Edited to add that after I read the below posts, yes it turned out I used Parts Express as well
I used to participate on Parts Express's forum, and have built some speakers based on either designs, or my own using various design tools.  Lots of nice work on there, with folks sharing said designs.

Here are some bookshelf units folks have built.  

http://projectgallery.parts-express.com/...peedsters/

http://projectgallery.parts-express.com/...bookshelf/

If you don't want to get into driver selection, enclosure design (critical for bass response), crossover design, etc., then use designs others have developed.  But you have to use the driver(s) they were designed for, and the crossovers, or all bets are off.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
Be very careful -- speaker building is another "slippery slope" hobby
Laugh

I second the Parts Express "Tech Talk" forum for learning.  Browse the speaker projects for some inspiration.
Cool

Here's a link to the "Bookshelf" kits PE carries -- you can get them with CNC cut unassembled boxes or just the parts and baffle if you want to do your own box.

https://www.parts-express.com/cat/speake...PortalID=1

one caution:  their kits sometimes are for two and sometimes for one speaker.  Be sure to check before ordering.  (That's my only gripe with PE
Sad)
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
Thanks for all the info. I will definetly put this on my to do list
BAT

A man wearing a helmet defending our nation should make more money than a man wearing a helmet playing games!
Here's a post on reddit's woodworking sub that has some interesting questions and answers on a speaker build someone did, https://www.reddit.com/r/woodworking/com...d_russian/
I'm especially intrigued by the OP's use of software, he said "I used WinISD to simulate lower frequency response from the box. It’s a very well equipped piece of freeware. There are some others out there as well, but I’ve found WinISD to be the easiest and most accurate."  Seems like you can really go all out on a project like this!
"Yes, of course duct tape works in a near-vacuum. Duct tape works anywhere. Duct tape is magic and should be worshiped." Andy Weir (in his book The Martian)
(07-25-2019, 12:17 PM)kdouglaslee Wrote: Here's a post on reddit's woodworking sub that has some interesting questions and answers on a speaker build someone did, https://www.reddit.com/r/woodworking/com...d_russian/
I'm especially intrigued by the OP's use of software, he said "I used WinISD to simulate lower frequency response from the box. It’s a very well equipped piece of freeware. There are some others out there as well, but I’ve found WinISD to be the easiest and most accurate."  Seems like you can really go all out on a project like this!

I too use WinISD for the woofer section.  Box volume, port size (dia, length, number of ports) or sealed, with output curves that change real-time as you mess with the variables.  It's a good bit of freeware.  But you do need to know the driver parameters, or it can't do anything for you.  PE lists those parameters for all of the drivers they sell, by the way.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
I like to combine my woodworking/shop hobby with my audio hobby.

Pics included of my current system.  These are inexpensive 12" sub drivers (there are two subs, one under each end table) that were an XMAS gift from the wife.  They don't model well sealed or ported, needing large cabinets.  Designed my own aperiodic port instead.  Resulting Qts of the subs is a little less than .7.  They're small, they go deep, but aren't boomy at all.

Satellites are full-range Faital 3FE22 drivers.  Nice little lower-distortion driver.

I'm biamped, and the crossover is a PLLXO (Passive Line Level Xover) that I also built.

The amps (didn't build) are SMSL class-D units that are sold as 160-WPC, but more practically are about 100-WPC in my current config.  I'm using industrial power supply units from Meanwell to power them.

Current project involves building a turntable/tonearm.  Harvested the magnetically driven motor/platter from a busted/non-repairable Technics table, I've just started tinkering with low-friction joints for my tonearm.

Attached Files Image(s)