Tighten a loose hammer?
Taking a break from the deck mess. Here's a shot of the subject.... 

[attachment=19592]

You can see the gap and what I call the collar. The head does not slip in the AM when it is cool and sky is overcast. Also, there's higher humidity. 

[attachment=19593]
Mike and Steve have a point. Other than cosmetic appeal, I could easily replace the handle. [Famous last words!] It has a weird grip, straight as opposed to the flared heel on the Millers Falls imitation from Stanley. It interferes with arthritis--I could swing and watch the thing launch into a glass door or window. Strength isn't there anymore but with my luck there is enough to cause a costly "oops!". Years ago, the solution was a wrap of tarred friction tape. My Boeing Surplus supply dried up a long time ago. 

I have spent so much money on this "simple" decking task that a cheap handle may break the bank. But, yah know, anything to avoid actual work is always welcome.
Lol. Yes, needs the collar pared back, or just a new handle that has a better made grip portion on the lower end.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

I think I have that hammer.  Does it have two ball bearings in the claw that allow it to grip a nail?  I rehandled mine .
(07-25-2019, 08:25 AM)Mike Brady Wrote: I think I have that hammer.  Does it have two ball bearings in the claw that allow it to grip a nail?  I rehandled mine .

They do look similar. The Cheney never worked for me; I wasn't coordinated enough to aim a nail on a claw. And, two stab points in wood aren't always desired.

But that curve, and the sharp hook are ideal for pulling nails. Unhooking the old nail is another matter.
(07-23-2019, 09:09 PM)Red Sawman Wrote: … after that soak the head in some light oil for a few days ...

What does that do?  Is this for protection from the elements or does is expand the wood a little to make it tighter?  Or something else?
I remember seeing one Youtube video that claimed in times past it was standard practice to "stock" replacement hammer handles in linseed oil baths.   Yeah, it is supposed to have a wood-swelling effect.

I will say that making a custom hammer handle has been one of the funnest shop projects I've done in the last year.  I thought the art would take off as a craze after the 2nd-to-last Avengers movie showed Thor hafting a new weapon.

- Chris
Chris
(07-31-2019, 08:08 AM)C. in Indy Wrote: I remember seeing one Youtube video that claimed in times past it was standard practice to "stock" replacement hammer handles in linseed oil baths.   Yeah, it is supposed to have a wood-swelling effect.

I will say that making a custom hammer handle has been one of the funnest shop projects I've done in the last year.  I thought the art would take off as a craze after the 2nd-to-last Avengers movie showed Thor hafting a new weapon.

- Chris

Thanks!  I have some loose hammers so I will try this as well.  I wonder how well it works on closed grain wood vs. open grain.
(07-25-2019, 10:26 AM)hbmcc Wrote: They do look similar. The Cheney never worked for me; I wasn't coordinated enough to aim a nail on a claw. And, two stab points in wood aren't always desired.

But that curve, and the sharp hook are ideal for pulling nails. Unhooking the old nail is another matter.

Methinks this old hammer may need a new handle?
Rolleyes

i also tend to wrap handles, to improve my grip..
Winkgrin

YMMV
Cool
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
I don't worry about the flare at the end of the handle unless I'm framing or such- then I use a framing hammer. I usually choke up on a hammer a bit for better control for smaller or lighter use, so the clawed hammer doesn't need a flare to me.
The grip can be increased in several ways. Rough sanding with 36 grit, drill indents in the handle with a 1/4" bit, lightly sand blasting, use a saw to cut fine crisscross notches....

I don't like the handle too rough- wears the hand out too fast.

You didn't show the head end of the hammer, so it's hard to tell why exactly it's loose.
(07-31-2019, 08:08 AM)C. in Indy Wrote: I will say that making a custom hammer handle has been one of the funnest shop projects I've done in the last year.  I thought the art would take off as a craze after the 2nd-to-last Avengers movie showed Thor hafting a new weapon.

- Chris

I might say some of us are too busy building wood piles (demolition) to be watching fantasies. But then, the family stares at me drop mouthed when I do watch TV. 

I've done axes, a lot of axes, a few hammers, and never enjoyed the process of re-hafting. They kick, snap, and bite from the get-go.