clamping miters
Is there a preferred tape used to ”clamp” the mitered sides of a small box?
I tried clear packing tape, which worked great for pulling the sides in tight, and let me see it. But it left a residue that was hard to get off, and after I got my miters dialed in, being able to see they were tight wasn't necessary. So now I just use blue painters tape.
Math is tough. Let's go shopping!
The band clamp that Bessy makes is fantastic! Depending on how tall your box is, it may or may not fit the application. If you have a few of them you would be able to clamp up all but the tallest boxes.
How do you know you're learning anything if you don't screw up once in awhile?

My blog: http://birdsandboards.blogspot.com/
Green tape from the auto parts store. 1000 times better than the blue painters tape. Holds like crazy but no residue.
Carolyn

Trip Blog for Twelve Countries:   [url=http://www.woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com[/url]

"It's good to know, but it's better to understand."  Auze Jackson
Rubber bands also work well
"Yes, of course duct tape works in a near-vacuum. Duct tape works anywhere. Duct tape is magic and should be worshiped." Andy Weir (in his book The Martian)
I use strap clamps. Have a couple different types. One has one corner integrated with the tightening handle and moveable corners. The other has steel corners and a small wrench to tighten the gear cog adjuster.

One other way would be a picture frame clamp, but a box under 6" would be too small for the smallest frame clamp I have.
Pony strap clamps or Frog Tape.
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
If the cuts are good, lay all four sides, outside up, on a flat piece of plywood with the miters touching. put a couple or more rows of tape on to hold them together, but leave 3-4" extra on one end. You can also tape the miters vertically. Put another piece of plywood on top and while holding the "sandwich" together; flip it over. Now you can apply glue to the joints and fold up the box. The top and/or bottom can also be fitted into its groove while doing this too. Even though the pieces are already together, I still tape this way for miter-fold boxes.
Sign at N.E. Vocational School Cabinetmaking Shop 1976, "Free knowledge given daily... Bring your own container"
(07-26-2019, 11:31 PM)MstrCarpenter Wrote: If the cuts are good, lay all four sides, outside up, on a flat piece of plywood with the miters touching. put a couple or more rows of tape on to hold them together, but leave 3-4" extra on one end. You can also tape the miters vertically. Put another piece of plywood on top and while holding the "sandwich" together; flip it over. Now you can apply glue to the joints and fold up the box. The top and/or bottom can also be fitted into its groove while doing this too. Even though the pieces are already together, I still tape this way for miter-fold boxes.

This is my preferred way also.
A second option is to use looped 1/8" diameter parachute type cord and a packer's knot.
I think Frog tape stretches a bit more than the blue painters tape, but either one will work.

Do not use scotch tape, masking or packing tape.  If either one is on very long it tends to leave a residue that can be a pain to get off.