Laguna Cflux + Dust Deputy?
I have a Laguna Cflux2, 2hp DC.  Suction is good, however when I plane or joint, the filter bag fills up.  I'm wondering if those who are experiencing this issue, have tried using the Dust Deputy and whether or not it helps the filter bag problem?
Did you install the flat piece of metal at the end of the cone to increase separation that they came out with a few months after release of the PFLux and CFlux?
Upstate has nailed it. There is a flat piece of stamped steel that fits on the underside of the mounting flange for the dust bin. If your CFlux was made in the last two years, it was that random left-over piece in the box that was completely unmentioned in any way in the instructions. If your CFlux predates this, or if you accidentally threw it out, Laguna will send you another for free. Bolt it on and it will keep your filter bag clean and clear until you forget to change the dustbin and plane 20 board-feet of Doug Fir.

[Image: laguna05.JPG]
[Image: laguna06.JPG]
Math is tough. Let's go shopping!
This just illustrates the poor design of these short cone cyclones.

If it were properly designed with an adequate height cone, chips would easily fall out of the airstream and not need a bodge that closes off 1/4 of the opening. If chips , being heavier than dust particulate, don’t fall out of the airstream very well - where do you think that lighter dust goes ?
Meh. Life is full of compromise. I needed a dust collector I could roll out of my garage door. It fits that bill and does an admirable job of sucking.
Math is tough. Let's go shopping!
(08-02-2019, 11:11 AM)Cabinet Monkey Wrote: This just illustrates the poor design of these short cone cyclones.

If it were properly designed with an adequate height cone, chips would easily fall out of the airstream and not need a bodge that closes off 1/4 of the opening.  If chips , being heavier than dust particulate, don’t fall out of the airstream very well - where do you think that lighter dust goes ?

It also takes up half the foot print, doesn't require an 8ft ceiling and is on a mobile cart you can move any place you want, it's not a poor design, just a different design with similar properties and it still separates better than a non-cyclone model.
(08-12-2019, 03:07 PM)UpstateNYdude Wrote: It also takes up half the foot print, doesn't require an 8ft ceiling and is on a mobile cart you can move any place you want, it's not a poor design, just a different design with similar properties and it still separates better than a non-cyclone model.

Not exactly.  Lets look at the facts:

The laguna foot print is 30% smaller than similar spec'd units.  Oneida has even smaller footprint models if you have extremely small space or need portability.  There are also many choices of tall cyclones than fit under an 8' ceiling. and units even shorter than laguna's if you work in a cave.

IT IS a poor design.  Ask anyone with any kind of background in fluid dynamics.  Crib notes: a short cone equals less separation.   Witness the kludge bar that laguna needed to ADD to their units AFTER the fact.  Again, poor design.  Shouldn't have got caught with their pants down after delivering to consumers!

Laguna's are also rated louder than comparable oneida units.  Nothing to sneeze at if you're really in a low ceiling small space.

As to the separates better than non-cyclone models I cannot offer hard numbers because I haven't tested both.   So not fact but, I have seen enough to make a good guess that something like a Harbor Freight (or any other clones) + Thein baffle - or - Jet's single stagers with their cone separate as well or even better than laguna's based on the particulate that reaches their respective filters.

Does the laguna work ?  Yep. so do pretty much all "dust collectors"   Torbin & co. have designed a nice package for many people and convinced a lot of rockler and woodcraft dealers to stock one for folks to fondle in person.  That has value.  Kinda tough for you touch a Grizzly or Oneida unless you're close to their headquarters or warehouse.  A few place have the Jets.   But the decision for most is a dice roll based on research / recs and e-marketing - something laguna is really well versed at.

However, no one is going to convince me that laguna's are just as good or better than a properly designed "tall" cyclone at separation or chips or fine dust.  It just isn't possible on this planet with their design.  Darita's (and others') experience is proof of this.
Hay Cabinet Monkey can you tell us more about the Torbin & co. dust collectors as I could not find anything on the web?
T & co. = laguna tools
T & co. = laguna tools

Thanks Cabinet Monkey ....