Puzzle picture frame rebate to small
Judy volunteered me to build some frames and I agreed.
Made the first and took it over for a test fit.
The puzzle manufacturer stated it’s 20” X 20”— my corners at the inside of the rebate are 19-15/16” X 20”
The puzzle is more than 1/4” wide on the 20” side; the other side is just a hair small.
The frame has lots of molding.
What’s the best way to widen the rebate?
I think trying a TS stop cut is too unwieldy.
I’m thinking I should take a router to it with an uncut spiral bit?
Any better method?
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
I often have that problem framing a photo when the glass is just a tiny bit too big.  A router would work, though you would want a straight edge to run against.  I have used a wide chisel, and that goes pretty quick.  I have also used a small rebate plane on its side, then finished the ends with a chisel.  A side rabbet plane would also work, though they are not very common.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QANk3y_mtzk
How about a small router and rabbeting bit with an appropriately sized bearing.
Sign at N.E. Vocational School Cabinetmaking Shop 1976, "Free knowledge given daily... Bring your own container"
Or...

A really sharp razor, trim 1/32 off both sides of the puzzle... Make IT fit the frame.  The trimmed edges will be hidden by the frame.  Who'll miss the little you trim?

It's a puzzle...
... Not a painting by one of the masters. 
Cool

Your frame however..
.. Might BE a work of art.
Jim in Okie
You can tell a lot about the character of a man -
By the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.
What BOM said!
Yes
Yes
Yes

I've framed a lot of puzzles and now and then adjusted the puzzle to fit the frame.

I also bought some medium density foam sheets to use to line the inside of the frame to fill a gap because the glass is too small. I've learned to make a cardboard template for the glass and size it 1/8" smaller on each side. Easier to pad the glass than get it recut.
(07-29-2019, 02:36 PM)K. L McReynolds Wrote: What BOM said!
Yes
Yes
Yes

I've framed a lot of puzzles and now and then adjusted the puzzle to fit the frame.

I also bought some medium density foam sheets to use to line the inside of the frame to fill a gap because the glass is too small. I've learned to make a cardboard template for the glass and size it 1/8" smaller on each side. Easier to pad the glass than get it recut.

I'll third this.

I usually end up trimming the puzzle a 1/16" or more to fit properly.
No one has ever noticed.
(04-27-2021, 08:21 AM)Alfredolch Wrote: You are making a very interesting project, pls send a photo with it.

BAM !!!

SPAMMER !!
[Image: usa-flag-waving-united-states-of-america...if-clr.gif]
You seem to be having fun with that spammer thing.  Go get 'em.
I have framed puzzles, but I always cut a custom mat board for each, so the depth or width of the rabbet are of no consequence.  The mat also makes the puzzle look better and more important. 

You can also cut a second window and show something from the box cover.  For instance the copy that indicates the number of pieces, which can be signed and dated by the solver of the puzzle.[Image: Web_LifesaBeach_1000__65152.1553877524.jpg?c=2]
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.