Bandsaw insufficiently tensioned where re-sawing
Can any damage or harm be done to a bandsaw if re-sawing is done when the blade is tensioned too loosely.  (Don't ask!  The cuts came out OK.) Thanks.
Biggest thing is the blade coming off the wheels and destroying it and if your hands are to close well.....

So either you have to big a blade or something is not adjusted correctly
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(07-28-2019, 11:43 AM)jihhwood Wrote: Can any damage or harm be done to a bandsaw if re-sawing is done when the blade is tensioned too loosely.  (Don't ask!  The cuts came out OK.) Thanks.

I've never done that, mind you. More than 2 or 3 times. In the last 5 or 6... never mind. 
Big Grin I'd check the tires. If the blade slid at all it might have torn them.
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
(07-28-2019, 11:43 AM)jihhwood Wrote: Can any damage or harm be done to a bandsaw if re-sawing is done when the blade is tensioned too loosely.  (Don't ask!  The cuts came out OK.) Thanks.
Does the blade get longer after tensioning? Or is the blade too long to begin with? I have one blade on a 4x5 metal cutting bandsaw get longer after only an hour or two of use.
This was the blade that came with the saw. Replaced the blade with a new bimetal blade and never slipped again.
The only harm that I can think of would be a slack blade hitting the guard on the guide which is unlikely.
If you cannot get the blade to tension correctly the blade may have to be cut, then hard soldered or welded to the correct length.
mike
Thanks for three excellent responses!  Fortunately, there was no damage done to the tires.....and more importantly..... to me and my wife.   The lapse in my thinking helps bring home the importance of having a check-list for even "familiar" tools.  Thanks again.

If the cuts came out okay I'm not sure I'd worry too much about it. If the blade were really loose I'd expect slippage, barreling or other problems with the resawn pieces.
(07-29-2019, 06:12 PM)jihhwood Wrote: Thanks for three excellent responses!  Fortunately, there was no damage done to the tires.....and more importantly..... to me and my wife.   The lapse in my thinking helps bring home the importance of having a check-list for even "familiar" tools.  Thanks again.

Some folks will put a reminder sign on their saw when they detension the blade.
I haven't done it yet, but feel like I'm living on the edge... wil forget to retension someday (again)

Matt

The question to ask is why was there insufficient tension on the blade? Did you not tension fully OR is the blade too wide for the saw to tension properly? In the latter case, you can "potentially" damage the upper wheel bearings, springs and axel over time as you try to fully tension the blade beyond what the saw was designed to do. The other scenario is already well covered by previous posters.