Dewalt Replacement Batteries
Thanks for the responses - I think I am going to go with the low cost non-oem replacement 18 volt batteries like these

https://www.amazon.com/18V-3-0Ah-Ni-Mh-R...Y2s9dHJ1ZQ==
Rick

Two weeks ago, I bought an actual DeWalt 18V XRP 2.4 amp/hour battery on Amazon for $50 ea. If you wait til the holidays, that may get down to $40 ea (bought in a 2 pack).

The longer money is in the 20V lithium batteries.

The 18V to 20V adapter DeWalt makes is hard to take in & out of the tool. Once it's in there, it's fine though. Being how the OEM version is so terrible, I'd recommend buying 2-3 cheap (~$15 ea) chinese adapters and getting the 20V batteries. I'd buy enough of the adapters to go in how ever many tools I was going to be using simultaneously. Swapping the adapters before a project wouldn't be a terrible deal. Swapping the adapters during a project would quickly become a nuisance.

Just food for thought. If you look at it from a $$$ per amp hour perspective, those big lithium batteries can really become a good value.
(07-31-2019, 11:35 AM)DieselDennis Wrote: Two weeks ago, I bought an actual DeWalt 18V XRP 2.4 amp/hour battery on Amazon for $50 ea.  If you wait til the holidays, that may get down to $40 ea (bought in a 2 pack).  

The longer money is in the 20V lithium batteries.  

The 18V to 20V adapter DeWalt makes is hard to take in & out of the tool.  Once it's in there, it's fine though.  Being how the OEM version is so terrible, I'd recommend buying 2-3 cheap (~$15 ea) chinese adapters and getting the 20V batteries.  I'd buy enough of the adapters to go in how ever many tools I was going to be using simultaneously.  Swapping the adapters before a project wouldn't be a terrible deal.  Swapping the adapters during a project would quickly become a nuisance.  

Just food for thought.  If you look at it from a $$$ per amp hour perspective, those big lithium batteries can really become a good value.
I didn't really have any problem taking it on and off, I guess I have really strong thumbs :-)  The big issue (if you can call it that) is the battery discharging in storage.
When I was investigating a similar issue I found the local Battery Plus store could rebuild what I had with new batteries for about half the cost of new ones. Might want to check it out.
Was living the good retired life on the Lake. Now just living retired.
CPO Outlets is having a limited time only Dewalt sale.  Some batteries listed.  Not sure if good deal or not.  Check it out: CPO Outlet
(08-07-2019, 08:56 PM)Sullivan Wrote: CPO Outlets is having a limited time only Dewalt sale.  Some batteries listed.  Not sure if good deal or not.  Check it out: CPO Outlet

Thanks for that heads up - unfortunately my battery is not on the list
Rick

I purchased two aftermarket batteries for my older Makita drills. The batteries are good for about 30 seconds to a minute. I was using them with 1" diameter drum sander under light loads.  I will never ever never ever never again purchase ANY Ni-cad batteries.  All of my old Bosch and Dewalt Ni-cad batteries are dead.  Not worth replacing.

A couple years ago at my local hardware store they had a big sale, Milwaukee drill, two 4 amp hour batteries for $119. I bought TWO!!   These are the very best drills ever and I never use a plug-in drill anymore unless it is my very large 1/2" 500rpm drill for BIG stuff.

This year the same store had the same sale and purchased two more of the drills with 2 each, 5 amp hour batteries.  these drills and batteries are incredible.  Since then I have added the chainsaw, the handheld blower (small model and THE most used tool I own, use it every day for everything), added the 4.5" grinder, oscillator, and more.  

Bottom line here, stop wasting your time on old non-functional tools.  You all have more money than time, no matter what your income is, so stop wasting time and buy the best tools you can afford, ones that just might last the rest of your life.  

Also keep in mind I am not promoting Milwaukee.  I also have several Bosch cordless tools and just picked up the little hand-held router, a real pleasure and super handy for quick router projects.  I could or would support Dewalt but I am already committed elsewhere.
For a few bucks more than two batteries, I would just buy another tool.  You'll have a second charger, too.

I've done this a few times with various tools.  Have to be careful, tho they constantly change the charger configurations.