Sharpening the cabinet/card scraper?
(08-07-2019, 12:10 PM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: Don't get me wrong; I'm not criticizing his work or his use of a diamond hone in place of stones. His comment that his scraper dulled quickly tells us that the edge did not hold. Unless someone is prepared to hone their scrapers frequently in the middle of a job, why not go with other proven methods that are more efficient? Based on his video, my scrapers last at least 10 times longer than his. No exaggeration.

Gouging a stone is not uncommon if a woodworker presses a scraper down with too much force, while staying at the same spot on the stone.

Simon

Like I have said, I have tried honing. What I found was that with a clean fine file, there was really not enough difference and it was simply faster to skip the honing. I have scraped an inch or two of lumber and card scrapers dull fast either way they are sharpened.
(08-07-2019, 09:40 PM)Scoony Wrote: Like I have said, I have tried honing. What I found was that with a clean fine file, there was really not enough difference and it was simply faster to skip the honing. I have scraped an inch or two of lumber and card scrapers dull fast either way they are sharpened.
A short length of a HSS planer blade makes a good scraper that lasts a long time if you make a holder for it..You can also use a HSS parting tool...Dress the edge on a carborundum hone and turn a small burr with a polished carbide rod...I use a carbide rod that TonyZ so generously sent me. For a rough burr, it can be created on a 120grit grinding wheel...no turning necessary, as Paul Hamler points out in his scraper video.
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

(08-07-2019, 09:54 PM)Timberwolf Wrote: .............................
A short length of a HSS planer blade makes a good scraper that lasts a long time if you make a holder for it..You can also use a HSS parting tool...Dress the edge on a carborundum hone and turn a small burr with a polished carbide rod...I use a carbide rod that TonyZ so generously sent me. For a rough burr, it can be created on a 120grit grinding wheel...no turning necessary, as Paul Hamler points out in his scraper video.

Dang Jack, I still have a bunch of old planer blades collecting dust. Made a few marking knifes out of them, but never thought about scrapers. Now just need to figure out a holder of some sort.  I have used a wood lathe scraper to scrape the bed of a wooden plane. Really worked well in that application and the heft and length really helped in controlling it.

One problem I bet some folks have with sharpening card scrapers is that we try to get the most life out of a file and they get pretty beat up, grungy, and full of metal from previous jobs. Also, files can be flexed easily. Placing the file on a flat block of wood and working the scraper on it, will keep the file flat.