Sharpening the cabinet/card scraper?
Draw out the steel. This is one of the vital ingredients. You want to pull the steel outwards with the burnisher. You will not create a proper hook without doing so. About 5 strokes from the left and 5 from the right. Light strokes!

[Image: FoolproofSharpeningOfCard(Cabinet)Scrape...1b7dc5.jpg]

Turn the hook at about 5 degrees. Do the 5 and 5 again. Light strokes ...

[Image: FoolproofSharpeningOfCard(Cabinet)Scrape...e64c72.jpg]

This is another crucial omitted step - do it again but at closer to 10 degrees. Light strokes!

[Image: FoolproofSharpeningOfCard(Cabinet)Scrape...a8c05e.jpg]

Now take your shavings!

[Image: FoolproofSharpeningOfCard(Cabinet)Scrape...b1f000.jpg]

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
I'm no expert and my results aren't always consistent (that may have to do with the individual scraper)

+1 on drawing out the steel.  I do believe this is s critical step often omitted.

You can't go directly from a file to a burnisher.  You want a polished edge hone all the way to 8000 or so.

Burnishing is an art its not just the angle but also the pressure something you need to dial in. 

I suggest you experiment a bit do 3 or 4 strokes, test the scraper, and do a few more.  You may find there is no difference and 3 or 4 strokes is enough.

You can also tune up a scraper buy just free hand swiping a couple times to straighten out the burr. You an also realign the burr by running an awl or nail along the under side of the hook.
Derek's pictures do a terrific job of showing what I was trying to say!

For burnishing, the pressure is akin to buttering a piece of bread, not too hard and not too soft!
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
Yup, the pics help.
I think it may be a matter of too much pressure as well.

Big Grin

I will let you guys know.
I really love using the scrapers, so I need to learn to sharpen it.
Jim in Okie
You can tell a lot about the character of a man -
By the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.
Lots of good advice here. I, too, have been in exactly that place where sometimes I could get a great edge and sometimes I couldn't. Now, through trial and error (lots of error), I've gotten to a point where I can usually nail it the first time, or if I don't, I know exactly where I went wrong. Here are a few things I've learned:
1. After filing, be sure you remove all the file marks on the stone. Stray file marks will make the burnisher jump and bump around.
2. Keep the scraper absolutely perpendicular to the stone. If it leans one way or the other, you'll get a great hook on one side and nothing on the other.
3. Draw out the burr like Derek shows above. Adding that step really improved my scraper edges.
4. Experiment with different levels of pressure. If you've drawn out the burr, then you don't need much to turn the burr down into a hook. but different scrapers want different kinds of pressure. Only experience will tell.
5. Compatible equipment is important. My first burnisher was a HSS rod that wasn't quite hard enough for my hardest scrapers. I switched to carbide and got much better results. Not saying carbide is the solution to everything, but some card scrapers sold nowadays are pretty darn hard compared to older scrapers that could be burnished with a carving gouge.
6. You can sometimes refresh a dull hook once or twice by burnishing again. Sometimes you can't.
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
as someone pointed out, you get a burr not a hook if you go direct from filing to burnishing. The surface result from a burr and from a hook is different -- coarse vs fine. a burr doesn't last. You need to go through stones (1000x and 4000; 8000 optional but not necessary) or a diamond hone (fine or super fine).

Two more pointers: use the burnisher with a touch of machine oil, and keep the hook angle low: 5 to 10 degrees. a hook with a high angle won't last as long.

Simon
A point about filing: you can scrape with a filed edge (I have many times), but use a draw filing technique, if you want to try this. With filing, you'll have microscopic breaks in your edge, that honing will refine and remove.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
Check out this video.  Its the best I've seen.  Yes he makes it look simply, but excellent explanations.
(07-31-2019, 09:56 AM)rwe2156 Wrote: Check out this video.  Its the best I've seen.  Yes he makes it look simply, but excellent explanations.

Very nice video.
I need to try several of these and see what works for me.

Smirk
Jim in Okie
You can tell a lot about the character of a man -
By the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.
(07-29-2019, 07:58 PM)BrokenOlMarine Wrote: I like the card scraper, in fact, I keep two right over my bench.  I use them often, sharpen them a lot, but not well, which is why I sharpen them a lot. 
Raised. I know, I know, there are eleventy hundred you tube vids on how to... 
Rolleyes. ... Everyone has their favorite method, and they all look easy.  I have tried a number of methods, and use quality tools.  I have the burnisher, the file, diamond stone, and the rest.  Sometimes I hit lucky and put a really nice hook on that puppy, others it's as flat as if I ran it thru the planer.  
No   

Confused

Maybe 'm not holding my tongue right?  I know, the scraper is defective. 
Yes  Yeah, that's the ticket.

I have seen promos and ads for the Woodsmith jig...
https://www.amazon.com/Wood-Smith-Woodsm...159&sr=8-1

Anyone used one? 

I'm taking a woodcraft sharpening class Wednesday night, focused on plane irons and chisels, perhaps they will offer tips on the scrapers, after all, I bought them there years ago.  Woodcraft sells ^^^^^ that woodsmith jig if it'll get the job done.  The savings in sandpaper will recoup the cost. 
Smirk

I am open to suggestions.  Have a favorite technique?  Educational vid... I'm all ears... (Ah, and eyes.)
More on scrapers from Paul Hamler...who knows a thing or two about them....
Big Grin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZOV9QYiMTw
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset