homeowners hiring day workers
Back in the day, this would be under the OFF-TOPIC umbrella.

No secret that landscapers, etc swing by the box stores just after dawn to pick up day workers.

Do homeowners do it, too?  I've been tempted....need some strong backs to push around wheelbarrows for our landscaping plan.

I can see potential for BIG troubles though:  no insurance, where to relieve themselves, transporting them in your vehicle, etc, etc.

Your thoughts??
I've always wondered about this, but have never hired one myself.

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick

Mark

I hired two high school kids to work in my yard last Saturday. Never gave it a thought. And I doubt I will send them a 1099.

Pedro
I miss nested quotes..........
That's very common here in TX though it isn't done in front of HD like it is in other places. The city actually built a facility that you can go to and grab a couple day laborers from. I have thought about doing it myself but never have as it's a long drive out and back from here. When I have had local highschool kids etc do stuff I take care of them and provide a good lunch on the grill. Burgers or BBQ chicken and all the drinks they want etc. 

Have had guys on sites picked up by contractors and in a commercial setting and it's too difficult to go over in a post how it works here but basically like the way old days when getting a helper but there is an agreement form that they use to basically cover the person hiring them as basically an independent contractor. Many of them end up getting full time jobs from contractors this way. Course don't expect a contractor to cover insurance for their employees when it comes to construction.

Not going to get into my opinion of it but that's how it generally goes.
Yep around here just drive up, ask a couple of men to hop in your truck. There are regulations on how much you need to pay them. And you're required to bring them back. Most of them will work hard and earn that money.

It's been worth it every time I've done it.
(07-30-2019, 12:12 PM)PedroOhare Wrote: I hired two high school kids to work in my yard last Saturday. Never gave it a thought. And I doubt I will send them a 1099.

Pedro

No need to send if they didn't make $600
(07-30-2019, 12:12 PM)PedroOhare Wrote: I hired two high school kids to work in my yard last Saturday. Never gave it a thought. And I doubt I will send them a 1099.

Pedro

hired one to get rid of a obnoxious weed that was taking over two of my pastures last weekend.

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick

Mark

(07-30-2019, 05:36 PM)meackerman Wrote: hired one to get rid of a obnoxious weed that was taking over two of my pastures last weekend.

Did the guy look like this?

Laugh

Attached Files Image(s)

My homeowners insurance specifically has coverage for "ocasional" workers.  Nice peace of mind.  Now is the mow blow and go guy considered ocasional?  He only comes by every two weeks.  It's a big grey area.

The coverage was included not an extra add on.
-------------------------
I married my wife for her looks, just not the ones she has been giving me lately
Friend of mine coached high school wrestling. He hired one of his athletes to help him paint his house. The kid fell off the ladder and broke his leg. There are always risks. I’d rather pay a local guy to do the work and let him assure the responsibility.