choosing between two 10in bandsaws
(07-31-2019, 12:21 PM)omark Wrote: Hi,

I would like to get advice on choosing between two bandsaws: WEN 10in or Rikon 10in (10-306). Never had or used bansaw before.  I intend to use it mostly to rip/resaw softwood (for example 2x4), maybe also some thinner hardwood. I guess wih 4tpi 3/8in blade for everything.

Advantages I see for WEN are: standard size of the blade, possibility to order and pick up from local Home Depot, 6in thick resawing.

Advantages for Rikon: lever for quick tensioning, maybe better design/quality?
However blade length is non-standard.

I would appreciate comments on other aspects of bandsaws which I may not know or considered, thanks.
Miroslaw

15% off Rikon tools at Woodcraft right now.
My first ever bandsaw was and is a 100 years old 24 inch E.V.Beronius.
It is very costly to upgrade step by step from one machine to another and then to a third and a fourth so I decided to buy a saw that is likely to cover my needs in the foreseeable future. As I am mechanically inclined and have tools for metal fabrication I could buy a very old saw and upgrade it to modern safety standards on a very small budget.

This is definitely not the best route for everyone but I think that before you spend any money you should spend a little while thinking through your present and future needs as well and vat recources you are better supplied with. Buying new requires only money and buying and rebuilding a 100 years old wreck requres mostly time....... and between those extremes thare are plenty of opportunities for those who have some time and some money.
Part timer living on the western coast of Finland. Not a native speaker of English
Thank you for all responses, you gave me great deal to think about.
Miroslaw
(08-15-2019, 08:19 AM)omark Wrote: Thank you for all responses, you gave me great deal to think about.
Miroslaw

I'd also recommend watching Peter Millard's videos comparing some bandsaws.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNClPBQy_Es

Matt