Toilet Wax Ring
Purchased the Danco Perfect Seal. Problem definitely was the less expensive wax ring not completely sealing the connection. I think I lowered the toilet unevenly and a gap was created when I rocked the base attempting to ensure a seal. Looks like the Danco ring will work especially for someone like me that may install a toilet only once every 10 years.

Interesting follow up. My brother paid a plumber to install his toilet and it’s leaking at the base. Obviously an improper wax seal connection is a common problem.

Going to reinstall toilet today. I’ll keep you guys posted.
(08-04-2019, 05:51 AM)Gibbcutter Wrote: Purchased the Danco Perfect Seal. Problem definitely was the less expensive wax ring not completely sealing the connection. I think I lowered the toilet unevenly and a gap was created when I rocked the base attempting to ensure a seal. Looks like the Danco ring will work especially for someone like me that may install a toilet only once every 10 years.

Interesting follow up. My brother paid a plumber to install his toilet and it’s leaking at the base. Obviously an improper wax seal connection is a common problem.

Going to reinstall toilet today. I’ll keep you guys posted.

This is probably the problem. "inexpensive wax rings" work great if installed correctly. The wax ring won't spring back like a rubber seal. Rocking the bowl may have pushed down one side, losing it's seal. Just set the bowl down straight and let the closet bolts press everything into place. If you had to rock it, I would guess that the ring was too tall. There wax ring only needs to be about 1/4" proud of the distance between the flange and the sealing plane of the bowl. 1/4" should mash in easily with the bolts. Wax seals will go bad it the bowl isn't tight to the floor. Any movement of the bowl will move the ring, enough to break the seal eventually.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

Final check in. Set the toilet today and after multiple flushes no sign of water. Used the Danco seal and glad I did. It’s definitely worth a few extra dollars.

Hopefully this will be my last post regarding installing a toilet. Thanks to everyone for your suggestions and tips.
I recently used one of those "gel" rings.  Super easy to use and the toilet can be removed and the ring can be re-used.  I used the sani-seal version and I recommend it.

There are lots of videos online on this product.

Tom from "This Old House" used it to deal with a very difficult install (the floor was uneven).  As I recall about $10.00.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
I have the rubber rings on both toilets in my house.  One of my boys is on the autism spectrum and likes to see things spin down the drain.  We (I) have had to pull both toilets multiple times. The reusable rings save a trip to ACE each time.  Highly recommended if you need to rescue items from the toilet bend on a regular basis.
Well the Danco Perfect Seal wasn’t perfect. I’m not surprised because the toilet needs to fit snugly over the seal. It doesn’t create a water/air tight seal the way a properly installed wax seal does. The water was minimal but nevertheless was there. The toilet flange was a 1/8 inch above the finished floor so that wasn’t bad. Headed back to Home Depot and purchased the Sani Seal. Unfortunately I have become efficient at installing toilets so it only took about 15 minutes. Holding my breath!
I always hold my breath when installing toilets!
VH07V  
(08-07-2019, 10:14 AM)Gibbcutter Wrote: Well the Danco Perfect Seal wasn’t perfect.  I’m not surprised because the toilet needs to fit snugly over the seal.  It doesn’t create a water/air tight seal the way a properly installed wax seal does. The water was minimal but nevertheless was there.  The toilet flange was a 1/8 inch above the finished floor so that wasn’t bad. Headed back to Home Depot and purchased the Sani Seal. Unfortunately I have become efficient at installing toilets so it only took about 15 minutes. Holding my breath!

if you have a leak this time around purchase another sani seal and stack them.  I didn't know that the first time I used them.  I still have a case of wax rings in stock and pick them up when I see them getting tossed out in clean outs.  I picked up 3 just last week.  I agree the rocking might have been your problem.  I install and then sit down flat.  It keeps even pressure on the wax any rocking will create a void
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

(08-08-2019, 02:25 AM)Bob10 Wrote: if you have a leak this time around purchase another sani seal and stack them.  I didn't know that the first time I used them.  I still have a case of wax rings in stock and pick them up when I see them getting tossed out in clean outs.  I picked up 3 just last week.  I agree the rocking might have been your problem.  I install and then sit down flat.  It keeps even pressure on the wax any rocking will create a void

I had some rocking when I installed my toilet.  And I dared not tighten the bolts any more.  Instead I took a few 1/8" tile spacers and placed them under the toilet at the low points, first loosening the bolts and then re-tightening them. The spacers are made from flexible material and compressed for a tight fit.  I don't like to caulk toilets to the tile because it can easily just hide a leaky toilet flange and cause hidden damage.  

They do sell dedicated "wedges" for this purpose, but the spacers worked fine.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
I am in the "caulk the toilet" camp.  I use the sanded caulk as it adds some substance to the caulk and acts as a leveler and prevents rocking. I leave the back half un-caulked so leaks can leak out.