Shave Horse
I made a shave horse years ago and used it to make some chairs. It was too long to fit in the shop and stayed out on the front porch. Got tired of seeing it there and sold it.

Now I have some nice 8/4 ash, more than enough for a nice shave horse, but I am still lacking space. Looking for ideas on a smaller shave horse, or better yet, some type of clamping contraption that I can attach to my bench. Sort of a shave horse head without a bench that I can hang on the wall when not in use.

Any thoughts or ideas?
Shaving pony : https://www.google.com/search?q=shaving+...20&bih=977
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
Not one that attaches to the bench, but PWW had a collapsible one earlier this year in the February issue. No experience with it, but I know the author taught some classes on it at TFWW.

(08-02-2019, 09:44 AM)Rob Young Wrote: Shaving pony : https://www.google.com/search?q=shaving+...20&bih=977
I like the shave pony.  Made a few that served the students well for spoon carving.  If you're looking to make longer stuff like chair backs (8/4 ash ?)  only a nice sit-down will do.  Might add don't sit on the wood, or even the padded wood.  Get a nice bike saddle or tractor seat, and make it adjustable for distance from work.  Your butt will thank you.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
I am watching a video of the Renaissance Woodworkers shave pony. Looks like something that can work for me. Maybe add some features from the shave horse from the greenwoodworking site.
(08-02-2019, 10:46 AM)MichaelMouse Wrote: I like the shave pony.  Made a few that served the students well for spoon carving.  If you're looking to make longer stuff like chair backs (8/4 ash ?)  only a nice sit-down will do.  Might add don't sit on the wood, or even the padded wood.  Get a nice bike saddle or tractor seat, and make it adjustable for distance from work.  Your butt will thank you.

Sorry, the 8/4 on hand would be for the shave horse, not chairs.  If I go with a shave pony, I can use that ash for an additional small bench or something else.
(08-02-2019, 09:28 AM)Scoony Wrote: I made a shave horse years ago and used it to make some chairs. It was too long to fit in the shop and stayed out on the front porch. Got tired of seeing it there and sold it.

Now I have some nice 8/4 ash, more than enough for a nice shave horse, but I am still lacking space. Looking for ideas on a smaller shave horse, or better yet, some type of clamping contraption that I can attach to my bench. Sort of a shave horse head without a bench that I can hang on the wall when not in use.

Any thoughts or ideas?

To add, if you go peek at Michael Dunbar's YouTube channel where he walks through all his steps for making a Windsor Chair, he espouses the use of a plain old quick-release bench vice for everything. No shaving horse.

But I also seem to remember he was a proponent of the shave pony at one point. Can't find the evidence though.

Sort of in-between the two camps, I've used my quick-release vice to hold large hand-screw clamps which in turn hold my work. I've got one clamp that I took apart and cut opposing notches in the jaws. Works reasonably well for smaller round-ish stock when spokeshaving. YMMV.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
Sorry I can't recall which one, but not too long ago one of the woodworking magazines had a shaving horse that could be disassembled.
(08-02-2019, 03:39 PM)Rob Young Wrote: To add, if you go peek at Michael Dunbar's YouTube channel where he walks through all his steps for making a Windsor Chair, he espouses the use of a plain old quick-release bench vice for everything. No shaving horse.

But I also seem to remember he was a proponent of the shave pony at one point. Can't find the evidence though.

Sort of in-between the two camps, I've used my quick-release vice to hold large hand-screw clamps which in turn hold my work. I've got one clamp that I took apart and cut opposing notches in the jaws. Works reasonably well for smaller round-ish stock when spokeshaving. YMMV.

I have tried the quick release vice and found it to be a lot of extra work to rotate the spindles around. I thinking about building the one from Grenwoodworking and also a shave pony. I can store the shave bench away in the basement until needed.  Got a few small projects to wrap up this weekend, then will get started on what ever type of shave horse/pony I decide on. I know one thing, if I build a full size horse and decide not to keep it, it will sell fast on Facebook Marketplace.
Was able to knock out a shave pony today and was able to save the 8/4 ash for another project. 

I used some red oak, hickory, ash, and pine that I had laying around. Kind of combined Jennie Alexander's shave horse plans along with the Renassance Woodworker's shave pony plans. I tested it out on some red oak and it holds the pieces securely. 

The wedge block is not attached. I cut a wedge (not shown) out of a chunk of ash and need to come up with a teather system so I can move for adjustments without loosing it when storing. I also need to add a step extender so I am not reaching too far with my foot. I will also need to make a stool so I can sit while working.