Brass Pens
(10-03-2019, 07:58 PM)crokett™ Wrote: sorry for the delay, I've been very busy.  I start with the Commander kit from Woodturningz - it is the best combination of finish and the smoothest writing nib I've found, though the nib is replaceable.  You can order the brass online.  I start with brass rod, only because I can't find brass tubing with an OD/ID that works for me.  I drill it, glue in the tubes and then turn between centers.  You have to watch the heat buildup.  HSS tools work better on brass than carbide tools do.  It has to do with the rake angle of the tool.  Timberwolf could explain it better but basically the HSS encourages the brass to just lift away.  The carbide wants to cut deeper and catches.

Hi:

I'm curious why you need tubes?  Is it possible to just drill the brass to the ID of the tubes in the pen kit?

Thanks
(12-30-2020, 09:33 PM)matzner Wrote: Hi:

I'm curious why you need tubes?  Is it possible to just drill the brass to the ID of the tubes in the pen kit?

Thanks

Probably. I haven't made these in a while.  I likely will try that at some point.  It was easier to find drill bits for the tube diameter than the parts diameter, since the tubes I knew the measurements. I also already have drill bits in the correct sizes for the tubes.  If I want to use a different kit (like a cigar pen) I'd have to measure the parts and buy new bits.