Where do you buy your exotic lumber?
We use a number of different exotic woods in our shop...My question is where have you guys found a good source for exotic lumber? Purple Heart, wedge, bloodwood and the like...We have a mill about 30 miles from our shop where we purchase most of our exotics, (Wible U-pick hardwood) but I thought maybe someone here knows of a better place.
www.rarewoodsusa.com

Online sales, they ship daily. Fantastic inventory.

g
I've only had one...in dog beers.

"You can see the stars and still not see the light"
The Eagles: Already Gone
I've had very good experience with Wall lumber

http://www.walllumber.com/exo.asp
"73 is the best number because it's the 21st prime number, and it's mirror 37 is the 12th prime number, whose mirror 21 is the product of 7 times 3. Also in binary 73 is 1001001, which is a palindrome." - Nobel Laureate, Dr. Sheldon Cooper
(08-05-2019, 08:54 PM)teaberry Wrote: We use a number of different exotic woods in our shop...My question is where have you guys found a good source for exotic lumber? Purple Heart, wedge, bloodwood and the like...We have a mill about 30 miles from our shop where we purchase most of our exotics, (Wible U-pick hardwood) but I thought maybe someone here knows of a better place.

We have a local sawyer that carries a wide array of local and imported lumber.
https://www.willardbrothers.net/
I have used www.gilmerwood.com for years. They have an excellent website where you can see the exact piece you are buying, usually from two sides. They ship quickly, very well packed. They happen to be local for me in the Portland area. The people there are very knowledgeable and helpful, and they're woodworkers themselves, too.
(08-07-2019, 12:22 AM)Brent V. Wrote: I have used www.gilmerwood.com for years. They have an excellent website where you can see the exact piece you are buying, usually from two sides. They ship quickly, very well packed. They happen to be local for me in the Portland area. The people there are very knowledgeable and helpful, and they're woodworkers themselves, too.

Gilmer is my go-to place also.
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
For standard exotics like bubinga, yellowheart, santos rosewood, mcassar ebony, et al, I go to Crosscut Hardwoods in Seattle. For super exotics like the $4000 african blackwood burl log I bought a few years back, I go to Gilmer. I've bought some stuff from other places as well, but shipping from Gilmer is much cheaper. I am able to buy 800+ pounds of african blackwood turnings squares and pay just over $200 in shipping.
Cellulose runs through my veins!
Used to be Paxton's in Kansas City.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(08-05-2019, 08:54 PM)teaberry Wrote: We use a number of different exotic woods in our shop...My question is where have you guys found a good source for exotic lumber? Purple Heart, wedge, bloodwood and the like...We have a mill about 30 miles from our shop where we purchase most of our exotics, (Wible U-pick hardwood) but I thought maybe someone here knows of a better place.

There is Cook woods in Klamath Falls, Oregon. I believe they do most of their business online. I have been there a few times and picked up some nice pen blanks. There is Bell Forest Products in Michigan. They also have a pretty good selection of exotics. I have ordered pen blanks from them and have been satisfied. They also have turning blanks of various sizes. I have been to Crosscut Hardwoods(Portland and Seattle) and found some pretty good deals. Also been to Gilmer's in Portland and they have a good selection of exoctics. So there are several places out there. Also Macbeath Hardwoods in Berkeley. Don't know if they ship or not. Just went to their site and you can order online.

HTH
Rod

I buy wood from you. Hope you are well LaVern!! Gary showed me a picture of you guys. You are doing very well these days!! Congrats!!

Mikie

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.