Gent's Saw with a Twist
(08-11-2019, 10:46 AM)Tony Z Wrote: I have an accummulation of all styles of saws, including LV, LN, Disston gent's saws.  The LV are great, quick all purpose saws, though the rip will never replace my traditional handled DT saws.

The one gent' style that has not been mentioned, was the Tools for Working Wood gent's saw, that had a rather squat, bulbous handle.  I meant to order one, but sadly they disappeared before I ever did.  The handle style has not shown on any other gent's saws I've seen.  Also, has anyone rehandled a gent's saw with a London pattern handle?

I think the Gent saws that Pedder made were beautiful.

Alan
Alan
Geometry was the most critical/useful mathematics class I had, and it didn't even teach me mathematics.
(08-13-2019, 03:31 PM)TraditionalToolworks Wrote: I think the Gent saws that Pedder made were beautiful.

Alan

I would agree!

I do not have any of Pedder's saws, but I do have a few by others, that are art and more for display than use.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
(08-13-2019, 03:57 PM)Tony Z Wrote: I would agree!  

I do not have any of Pedder's saws, but I do have a few by others, that are art and more for display than use.

It's hard to beat one of Pedder's saws. I just keep muddling along. :
Smile
https://flic.kr/p/22yMDu9
BontzSawWorks.net
(08-13-2019, 03:31 PM)TraditionalToolworks Wrote: I think the Gent saws that Pedder made were beautiful.

Alan

Thanks! (We are still making them. And as the handle is turned by another maker, the delivery times are short. )

Cheers
Pedder
Looks comfy in hand.

[Image: Gentleman%20Jaq%202.webp]

as the two tone seams to be a feature, i would like to see the saw in one tone.

Cheers
Pedder
(08-13-2019, 11:12 PM)RonB1957 Wrote: It's hard to beat one of Pedder's saws. I just keep muddling along. :
Smile
https://flic.kr/p/22yMDu9

Love the handle, Ron (and the rest of the saw)!
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
I am fortunate to have one of Skelton's saws, and they are very nice. If the gents saw is anything like the DT saw I have been using, its a well made tool.
I have one of Kevin Glen-Drake's saws that has been toothed @ 16 ppi for the full length of the blade. With the large size handle, it is a very functional saw but it is not in the same league as the saws from Bontz and Pedder
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
(08-14-2019, 01:18 PM)Pedder Wrote: Looks comfy in hand.

[Image: Gentleman%20Jaq%202.webp]

Now that I see the context, I agree that the handle makes more sense. The bulbous end on Pedder's handle may be more comfortable for pushing with the palm. The lower hooked end, however, does place the rounded end lower down, and this may make a difference in regard to ergonomics. Interesting.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com