Gent's Saw with a Twist
I have been using an octagonal-handle Gents saw for a year or more, and I like it a lot.  (Just a homemade one.)

The octagonal scheme has a totally new twist at Skelton Saws now:

https://www.instagram.com/p/B0gy4TDA25Y/

It looks pretty cool!

Chris
Chris
To my eye, some new designs look like they are trying too hard for attention.  I like this one.
[Image: Gentleman%20Jaq%206.webp]
Webpage here.
Have a loootttt of trouble holding onto "Broomhandle" style handles on saws....Uncle Arthur (Itis) makes things a bit painful....That's why I usually just grab my No. 4 Disston backsaw...14", has enough weight to feed itself during the cut...use 99% of the plate, most dovetail cuts run about...4 strokes...

Note: do NOT hand me an Estwing hammer, and then stand behind me.....can't hold onto those skinny handles, so..."DUCK!"
Uhoh
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
Back when Lie-Nielsen made gent's saws, I got both the rip and cross-cut versions ($75 !).  The rip version is outstanding for smaller dovetails.  Gripping a gents saw puts the hand, wrist, and forearm into the same plane of motion.  That saw gripped that way may not be enough for larger dovetails in thicker stock. 

The saw pictured is really beautifully made, but the price that premium back saws have risen to is too much for me.
(08-06-2019, 05:28 PM)Alan S Wrote: To my eye, some new designs look like they are trying too hard for attention.  I like this one.
[Image: Gentleman%20Jaq%206.webp]
Webpage here.

That design makes no sense. 

I like the squared sides of the handle. They would be grippier than round sides, which can twist in the hand.

However the hook at the rear of the handle would be useful only if this was a pull saw .... but a gent saw is a push saw, and so the hook is just an affectation. 

Nice looking saw, anyway.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
How does it cut, in comparison to a $25 Crown gent's saw?
(08-07-2019, 10:22 AM)Bill_Houghton Wrote: How does it cut, in comparison to a $25 Crown gent's saw?

Derek: Lie-Nielsen's gents saws are not pull saws.  With a brass back, the teeth can cut on the push stroke.  I personally would not want to dovetail with a pull saw unless it was a very good quality Japanese saw because I wouldn't want the swarf from the cut on the good side of the joint.  Obviously that is just my opinion.
(08-07-2019, 10:10 AM)Derek Cohen Wrote: That design makes no sense. 

I like the squared sides of the handle. They would be grippier than round sides, which can twist in the hand.

However the hook at the rear of the handle would be useful only if this was a pull saw .... but a gent saw is a push saw, and so the hook is just an affectation. 

Regards from Perth

Derek

Just speculation here, but I think you could hold it a little further back and have that swell/hook rest in the palm. That might provide more pushing power without having to grip the handle too hard.

BTW, I learned to cut dovetails with a cheap gent saw. I have arthritis in my hands and gripping a standard DT saw can be bothersome, especially if it has a thick handle like the Adria DT saw I have.
(08-07-2019, 10:10 AM)Derek Cohen Wrote: That design makes no sense. 

Regards from Perth

Derek

I share your view of the saw.  

In my view, there is a demonstrable tendency for "boutique tool makers" to devolve into making "tools as art" to justify higher price points they need to prosper.  All of which is fine if that's what their market will support.  I favor those who resist that temptation and offer honest, plain, functional tools.  I particularly dislike the often repeated "compliment" of a "tool too beautiful to use."  

Small tool makers face difficult marketing challenges and those who succeed at sustaining a business are rare.  

Of course my views may not count for much, since I never put my money where my mouth is.  At my age, and with far too many tools in my shop, I'm not buying very many tools any longer.  I'm more engaged in building a usable database of my tools to make it easier for my wife to close my shop if (when) I"m run over by a bus.
Fair winds and following seas,
Jim Waldron
(08-07-2019, 10:22 AM)Bill_Houghton Wrote: How does it cut, in comparison to a $25 Crown gent's saw?

Did I read that correctly? That is a $400.00+ saw? Interesting design and looks well made, as do all his saws. I would guess his saws use a better grade of steel than the Crown. The Crown Gent I had dulled quicker than mine do. Mine are 1095 RC 48-51. ( according to the white papers, anyway. )
BontzSawWorks.net