Toilet
(08-11-2019, 09:17 PM)hbmcc Wrote: A strange issue with Kohler from HD. (Bargain, of course.) Can't get a seat-lid set to stay in place. Steel hardware slips and slides, and plastic sucks through the ceramic holes.

I think the issue is Kohler.  I picked up a tub installed only to see tiny little cracks once the water hit.  Kohler made it right or so I thought had the same thing with the second one.  I have to tear it out.  This time around putting in a shower pan and being done with it.  They do make nice sinks not sure I would buy much more from them.
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

Huh. Never had any problems with Kohler gear.
Final wrap up to the toilet drama. Based upon feedback from this thread, I decided to give a big box store another shot. However this time I went to Lowes because the same Kohler toilet was 20 dollars less than Home Depot. Installation went fine and this toilet did not have a defect. Used extra thick wax seal and after 2 days, no evidence of a leak. Thanks for the feedback.
(08-11-2019, 09:20 PM)Bob10 Wrote: I think the issue is Kohler.  I picked up a tub installed only to see tiny little cracks once the water hit.  Kohler made it right or so I thought had the same thing with the second one.  I have to tear it out.  This time around putting in a shower pan and being done with it.  They do make nice sinks not sure I would buy much more from them.

The toilets I had trouble with were St. Thomas Creations. One piece, real clean and an absolutely amazing flush. Three out of a dozen or so were cracked at the bottom of the trap. I've had a few that were damaged from the big box stores too (both orange and blue).

I have a Kohler sink in my own bath that was special ordered from my local plumbing supply house. The glaze on some edges and around the soap dish was/is too thin became noticeable within about three months. And before you ask, no it wasn't scrubbed with abrasives; it was poor quality from Kohler.

I recently installed very expensive shower valve system from Kohler consisting of a temperature valve and two volume controls; one for a hand held on a rail, the other for a large rain shower head. They sell the valves and whatever trim style you want separately. You can choose any valve and any trim so there's also an assortment of parts necessary in between to make them work together. These plastic and/or stamped steel adapters that make a seemingly robust handle fit a decent valve are designed to fit so many applications that the whole system is flimsy and will leak into the wall if you simply follow their directions. I think I'll keep the 30 yr. old Moen. One handle; In/out for volume, left is hot, right is cold ..... and you have to actually lean over and pull up the diverter to change from tub to shower!
Sign at N.E. Vocational School Cabinetmaking Shop 1976, "Free knowledge given daily... Bring your own container"