Tool rest
I am thinking about buying a longer tool rest for inside of large bowls. Jet 14-42. Decent lathe, but definitly not my dream lathe. Does what I turn so probably not going to upgrade. 1" post. What does everyone like? Round or conventional shape? Length, straight or curved and if not straight what shape do you prefer? What brands do you have experience with? Thanks in advance.
For the inside of large bowls, a long curved rest would probably be best. I bought one and works great for large bowls. For smaller bowls, the "S" shape seems good.

I could design a rest shape, that would be perfect for me (for all around bowl making), but would have to find some place to make it.
(08-12-2019, 02:36 PM)Turner52 Wrote: I am thinking about buying a longer tool rest for inside of large bowls. Jet 14-42. Decent lathe, but definitly not my dream lathe. Does what I turn so probably not going to upgrade. 1" post. What does everyone like? Round or conventional shape? Length, straight or curved and if not straight what shape do you prefer? What brands do you have experience with? Thanks in advance.
I use this one's daddy - 20 years or so. https://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/p/111...-Tool-Rest

Also this highly "expert" recommended brand https://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/p/111...-Tool-Rest which I never used after buying the Iron S.

I don't turn over 16" diameter, so I guess that's small.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
(08-12-2019, 02:36 PM)Turner52 Wrote: I am thinking about buying a longer tool rest for inside of large bowls. Jet 14-42. Decent lathe, but definitly not my dream lathe. Does what I turn so probably not going to upgrade. 1" post. What does everyone like? Round or conventional shape? Length, straight or curved and if not straight what shape do you prefer? What brands do you have experience with? Thanks in advance.

I have the Oneway that MM linked to and I like it.  I have other Robust rests and they are the very best.
I bought the Oneway 10" and also the curved model for inside bowls.Got both at Lee Valley,Love them.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
I have a couple straight cast iron toolrests, short and long, and one of the cast iron curved S rests that has two threaded bosses for the post. I also have an older Kelton hollowing gate that doesn't get used much.

All three I use for internal turning; it just depends on the accessibility due to the vessel design. Some have a small diameter opening, thus limiting what tool and rest I can use.
Cellulose runs through my veins!