Blue Spruce
Some days ago I got an email (which I can no longer find) that purported to be a Blue Spruce newsletter. The letter announced the sake of his company to Woodpecker's. Since I have seen no chatter about it, I'm wondering if it was fake news? Anybody hear anything?
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
(08-12-2019, 03:04 PM)cputnam Wrote: Some days ago I got an email (which I can no longer find) that purported to be a Blue Spruce newsletter.  The letter announced the sake of his company to Woodpecker's.  Since I have seen no chatter about it, I'm wondering if it was fake news?  Anybody hear anything?

Not a rumor.  Blue Spruce joins Woodpeckers
(08-12-2019, 04:52 PM)Bruce Haugen Wrote: Not a rumor.  Blue Spruce joins Woodpeckers

Does that mean it will henceforth be known as Red Spruce?
Might be a good time for Blue Spruce to explain the vision of how these two companies (or product lines) will coexist.  I don't think they share a customer base although there could be some overlap.  I have never had even a slight urge to buy a Woodpeckers product, but Blue Spruce has many products I covet.
I find it odd that Dave Jeske would make this announcement on his Instagram (and Facebook) page and not on his own website. Crickets from Woodpeckers on that acquisition, which I also find odd. That said, it's a subsidiary, and from what I surmise from the announcement, the only thing that really changes is manufacturing moves to Woodpeckers facilities in Ohio. Design remains with Jeske. Maybe it'll make his tools cheaper, but I doubt it. Somehow, I think Blue Spruce tools have about the same rate of sales as Woodpeckers special runs. After all, he is very much a niche hand tool maker, perhaps even a "boutique" brand. I own a few of his chisels and a couple of mallets. They are awesome tools. I just hope the quality remains high.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
I'm also baffled by this. That's a really odd combination. I have a lot of respect for Dave Jeske and the tools he makes, love the chisels I bought from him. I have nothing against Woodpeckers (I bought a very good drill press table from them). I just don't see the functional neanderthal simplicity of Dave's tools fitting into their gee-whiz, high-priced, shiny, anodized aluminum business model.

Hope this works out well for DJ.
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
I can understand Dave's selling. After all, he has a family for which he needs and wants to provide. Woodpecker's certainly has manufacturing capacity - probably an excess that Dave's tools will help soak up. Dave has had some troubles keeping up with demand. Woodpecker's has lately been pushing hand tools - even going so far as to hawk Japanese planes. Who knows? I guess we wait and see. I've been wanting to complete my collection of his paring chisels with cocobolo handles - maybe, it will yet come to pass.
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
(08-12-2019, 05:10 PM)Bill_Houghton Wrote: Does that mean it will henceforth be known as Red Spruce?

Oh, the name combinations we could invent from this partnership!
Dave gave me a tour of his shop in Portland when I sold him 700 squares of African blackwood for his tool handles. It is a very small operation so maybe making this move will allow him some capital to grow the business, and he won't have to brave the hordes of antifa nutters on the roads in Ohio.
Cellulose runs through my veins!
I see logic here. Dave gets away from routine manufacturing and trade shows and still gets to develop products (I presume). Meanwhile he must also have gotten some cash and that has to be good.
Lumber Logs, domestic hardwoods at wholesale prices: http://www.woodfinder.com/listings/012869.php

Lumber Logs' blog: Follow the adventure