Roofing Shingles
Next year I need to replace my roof and was wondering what is the best architectual shingle on the market and why??  What brand would you steer away from and why?? What series in the brand recommended should I look at?? It has been 30 years so way out of touch with this. I heard that Timberline and Certainteed are the leading players. Love to hear from people that either just had a roof done or in the know because they are a contractor that has dealt with roofing.

Also what other questions should I be asking when getting estimates?? I live in NJ so need ice dam protection and probably switch to a roof ridge vent and replace the smaller pot vents I have on the back of the roof. Thanks in advance.
John T.
(08-13-2019, 10:42 AM)JTTHECLOCKMAN Wrote: Next year I need to replace my roof and was wondering what is the best architectual shingle on the market and why??  What brand would you steer away from and why?? What series in the brand recommended should I look at?? It has been 30 years so way out of touch with this. I heard that Timberline and Certainteed are the leading players. Love to hear from people that either just had a roof done or in the know because they are a contractor that has dealt with roofing.

Also what other questions should I be asking when getting estimates?? I live in NJ so need ice dam protection and probably switch to a roof ridge vent and replace the smaller pot vents I have on the back of the roof. Thanks in advance.

I just put on the 30 year shingle that HD had in stock.

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick

Mark

They make steel shingles that resemble asphalt shingles.  They purportedly last 75 years or longer, with warrantees starting at 50 years.

http://www.bestbuymetals.com/metal-shing...slate.html

It costs 20 - 25% more than asphalt.  It really depends on how long you plan on living in the house.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
I had to replace my roof 3 years ago.Did the usual check around and decided to go with metal,it was not much more than asphalt.There is a metal roofing manufacturer just outside my town so I bought direct and hired out the install.Ridge vents are code around here.Certainly don't regret doing this.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
I will also move the the metal shingles when I do mine. Not a reason to buy them, but there may be a good insurance discount once installed as well.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(08-13-2019, 10:42 AM)JTTHECLOCKMAN Wrote: Next year I need to replace my roof and was wondering what is the best architectual shingle on the market and why??  What brand would you steer away from and why?? What series in the brand recommended should I look at?? It has been 30 years so way out of touch with this. I heard that Timberline and Certainteed are the leading players. Love to hear from people that either just had a roof done or in the know because they are a contractor that has dealt with roofing.

Just had this done last fall (PA)...base warranties seem pretty much identical. Each offers upgrades to the warranty but requires proprietary "bells and whistles". From what I gleaned, your roof pitch, attic conditions and exposure all contribute to the longevity of the installation. Finding a tried and true installer is probably the most important variable of the process...
Options were: Tamko Heritage Shingles, IKO Cambridge Architectural Limited Lifetime Shingles, GAF Timberline Limited Lifetime, Certainteed Landmark Architectural Shingles, or Owens Corning Duration shingles., in order of price from lowest to highest (range was about 10% from low to high). Went with Tamko, since the install is so new, hard to say if we made the correct choice...
Good luck
btw, since our 20 year shingles that were 7 years old when we bought the home in 1984 lasted until 2018, we are thinking we are probably okay (granted EPA regs have most likely reduced the quality, but at this point we are willing to take a chance...)
I had a new roof put on 22 years ago by the lowest bidder.  He seemed to do a good job, but he had the shingles overlap the drip edge by over an inch.  In a heavy rain the water skipped over the gutters onto the lawn.  I took a metal snips and trimmed it all (120 linear feet trimmed by me; the remaining 80 linear feet by my gardener).  He said it was the "contemporary" style.  He didn't do it to save money or time.  But it was a mistake.

It is supposed to be a 30 year roof.  So it is coming to the end of its life cycle.  The new roof will require removing all the old shingles and will cost more.  I'm not looking forward to this.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
I'm waiting for a hail storm.
I have had the steel shingles by DECRA. They are terrific. Yes, they are more expensive but worth it. Some gotchas. 
.. The shingles expand and contract more than othertypes so there has to be a lot of care, repeat a lot of care taken at junctions. Especially vertical ones like around the chimney. The expansion/contraction can crack some sealants over time (10yrs for me) It takes a very high quality sealant. Valleys can have similar issues.
... You can walk on it whenever you want but bends may develop you don't see right away.
... The shingles will Not soften over time so will not seal better in the long run like asphalt. They may even warp a bit on their own. I've had to screw down some overlaps because they stuck up and wouldn't bend down.
... They will develop algae but can be cleaned. (Spray and Forget)
... Will wear your jeans out quicker when you clean the gutters.

Yes I got a discount on house insurance because of hail and fire protection. It adds to the house resale value.

Go for it.
Was living the good retired life on the Lake. Now just living retired.
I had a metal roof put on 2 years ago wish I would have done it a long time ago.  the metal roof was about the same as asphalt shingles