Roofing Shingles
the installer is at least as important as the shingles used....crappy install with the best shingles and you get crap.

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick

Mark

The installer I used was an employee of a manufacturer of manufactured homes in our area.  He and his crew only installed on new construction.  That was the way the manufacturer wanted the roofs installed.  I had no problem with the install other than the excessive overlap on the drip edge.  They were $4,000.00 cheaper than the other roofers.  My neighbor worked for the manufacturer of these homes (electrician) and vouched for the workers. 

Ranch houses are nice in that they have no stairs to deal with and you end up with a huge basement.  But roofs on a 2,000 square foot home average about 2,400 square feet of roofing and it adds up to an expensive roof.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
I see alot of metal roofs being mentioned. First off that is out for me. I will not outlive another 30 year roof for sure so asphalt it will be My house is a ranch and definitely want a rip off so to check for rotted plywood and also to correct flashing around chimney. Have some leaks. I agree about installers and have a few that I will be in touch with and the winner will come from those. I was trying to get a heads up on things to be aware of before I start getting estimates so it sounds like I know what I am talking about. In the asphalt areana what is a good shingle. I have read bad reviews on Certainteed not sealing well and blowing off. Timberline is the favorite around my town seems like. I am not familar with Tamko. Siding is in the future also thus doing both the same time.
John T.
Not a fan of Certainteed. They are terrible to deal with concerning warranty issues. They've had some pretty major failures and don't cover their product. I inspected a house with Certainteed shingles. 10 years old. Shingles were blistering, exposed fiberglass etc. They looked 40 years old.

Certainteed told the seller that they would cover half the cost of replacement. Certainteed did not admit fault but would do it. This was after 3 months of fighting with Certainteed. Certainteed assured them it was transferable to the new owner. The seller cut the price of the house (8 grand) to cover half the new roof. New owner moves in, Certainteed said they wouldn't cover it; citing poor attic ventilation. The attic ventilation was fine and Certainteed never looked at the roof.

Tamko are probably made locally. They have plants all over the country and manufacture for several other brands. They make them to the Brand's specs. Walk into a roofing supplier and it's probably 80% Tamko. Never heard of any issues with them.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

See this thread, as we just did two roofs with GAF

https://www.forums.woodnet.net/showthrea...light=roof

And make sure you talk with Woodjets....

Yes
[Image: usa-flag-waving-united-states-of-america...if-clr.gif]
(08-13-2019, 03:07 PM)daddo Wrote: I'm waiting for a hail storm.

Same here....  Here you don't just replace an old roof you have to have a storm so you can file an insurance claim. Because we get to much hail here the roofers have jacked up the price of roofing so much it's not even funny. You can buy half a house for what many roofers charge...

As for material I would go metal (preferably Galvalume)as well. Preferably standing or flat seam as they have no visible fasteners to see or leak. You can go with R panel or variants in different patterns and it is cheaper than Asphalt. Metal roofs last much longer and they are much more efficient than asphalt as they keep the attic much cooler. Also metal roofs are much lighter as well.

If you go asphalt use the warranty period as a possible indicator of the quality of the roofing. You will never ever ever ever get a roofing manufacturer to actually honor a warranty on asphalt shingles
(08-13-2019, 04:20 PM)JTTHECLOCKMAN Wrote: I see alot of metal roofs being mentioned. First off that is out for me. I will not outlive another 30 year roof for sure so asphalt it will be My house is a ranch and definitely want a rip off so to check for rotted plywood and also to correct flashing around chimney. Have some leaks. I agree about installers and have a few that I will be in touch with and the winner will come from those. I was trying to get a heads up on things to be aware of before I start getting estimates so it sounds like I know what I am talking about. In the asphalt areana what is a good shingle. I have read bad reviews on Certainteed not sealing well and blowing off. Timberline is the favorite around my town seems like. I am not familar with Tamko. Siding is in the future also thus doing both the same time.

If you go metal just rip off all the old plywood and put furring strips across for the metal. No requirement for plywood decking under it but it is preferred as a backup layer. Not sure where you are but a common roof here is 40-60K so metal is often cheaper than asphalt.

Oh and Tamko is what I usually see the better roofers use here.
Now all those wanting and using metal are they not noisy especially in places where it hails You can not convince me to buy metal so please do not suggest it. I do not need to hear rain pattering on my roof like a tin can. They do not even look like shingles. Old fashioned asphalt here. I heard bad things too about Certainteed so not sure . My neighbor is looking to put a roof on and he too is looking into certainteed. I will follow along with what he is hearing because he will do his this year. Have another neighbor looking to do the same. I guess what happens if roofs are put on around the same time they need replacing about the same time and that is what is happening in my area.
John T.
Metal is much lighter than shingles. It's fireproof. And best of all...it's waterproof.
Laugh

I installed (By myself- help never showed up) a galvalume U panel roof on the little house we have next door and you can't hear the rain and the attic is much cooler. I prefer it if possible.  I gave the supplier all the measurements and they made all of the cuts and supplied the ridges and valley materials. All I had to do was screw it down. Got a big discount on the insurance.
Just like with every roofing product out there, there is horror stories. each company has negative reviews. I have been looking through them. They say no lightning arrestors are needed with metal roofs but boy that just does not sit right with me. Can not have metal vent pipes sticking through the roof. They are slick so I guess snow does not build up on them but can sure dump alot on someone if not knowing. No walking on a metal roof either because of denting and lifting. If not locked down it can lift and fly just like other tiles. They are not big in my area at least right now. But as I said each roof has its good and bad points. When I put my first roof on 32 years ago the hardest choice I had was picking a color and that was not hard due to the color the house was being painted. Timberline 30 year.

Gee wait till I talk about siding next and stone veneer too.
John T.