Shellac - 1lb cut vs 2lb cut

I have been reading a lot about using shellac.  Most of the recommendations I read suggest using a 1lb cut of shellac for the first coat.  Is there a specific reason to use a 1lb cut vs a 2lb cut?  Does a 1lb cut penetrate better or dry noticeably faster?  Using the same color of shellac will a 1lb cut look lighter than a 2lb cut?

Lonnie
  Re: Shellac - 1lb cut vs 2lb cut by Mr Eddie (I have been reading ...)
Lonnie, I've not seen such advice but I have some opinions about your questions. I thin shellac down when I spray, and sometimes when I pad it on (the only 2 ways I can apply it). The spraying just lays down better for me when it's a lighter cut, and that's more or less the same when I pad it on. If I use Sealcoat (2# cut in the can) to seal something, I may brush it on as is....but that's only if I intend to paint over it; my brushing  skills with shellac are non-existent. I'm not sure about penetration, if any, or dry time. It seems like there is a little more alcohol in the application a thin may take longer to dry......but in seconds. I doubt it's enough to matter. If the shellac is colored and you use a thinner coat, I would also expect it to be a little lighter in color, since there's less resin the coat.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(08-13-2019, 11:03 PM)Mr Eddie Wrote: I have been reading a lot about using shellac.  Most of the recommendations I read suggest using a 1lb cut of shellac for the first coat.  Is there a specific reason to use a 1lb cut vs a 2lb cut?  Does a 1lb cut penetrate better or dry noticeably faster?  Using the same color of shellac will a 1lb cut look lighter than a 2lb cut?

Lonnie

I almost always use Sealcoat straight out of the can, which is a 2# cut.  When I use Amber I dilute by 50% normally, so that makes it someplace between 1 and 2#.  It sprays better and pads on easier for me.  I haven't found any advantage to a 1# cut; maybe if you are trying to use it as a blotch controller, but I spray most of the time to avoid that problem altogether.  

John
(08-13-2019, 11:03 PM)Mr Eddie Wrote: I have been reading a lot about using shellac.  Most of the recommendations I read suggest using a 1lb cut of shellac for the first coat.  Is there a specific reason to use a 1lb cut vs a 2lb cut?  Does a 1lb cut penetrate better or dry noticeably faster?  Using the same color of shellac will a 1lb cut look lighter than a 2lb cut?

Lonnie

I use shellac a lot, and for different reasons other than simply a final finish; as a spit coat sealer (1/2lb cut) when staining pine or cherry, etc.  I get flakes and mix my own as needed, I must have about 9 or ten different shades of flakes (always dewaxed) I keep in the refrigerator, some are 20 years old and still make excellent shellac.  So for final finishing I tend to do something between 1lb to 1.5lb cut, goes on easier with a good quality badger brush I only use for shellac (always use natural bristle brushes) and dries quickly, I like to build up the finish with multiple coats and the lighter cut tends to work for me, and if its too light a cut I just add some more flakes.  So if you buy flakes, you can experiment with cuts and find something you like.  Shellac.net has a mixing chart that I use (I've also bought from them with good results over the years) with a cheap digital kitchen scale I got at Walmart for $10.  

https://www.shellac.net/PoundCutChart.html
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Side issue, in case you didn't know, if you find yourself in a hurry without time to wait for your flakes to dissolve, run the flakes through a small coffee grinder similar to this before adding the alcohol. The resulting grindings dissolve almost instantly.
I too use shellac for the base of my finishes. The thinner cut, used as a wash coat, penetrates deeper because there’s more etoh (and less shellac which is a heavier material) that gets absorbed into the wood – carrying the shellac a bit deeper. The 2# cut, having more shellac, starts to build up more surface thickness. I usually pad on 4 or 5 coats.

Unlike varathane and most lacquer based finishes, each application of shellac actually melts the previous applications – rather than just adding layers on top. To insure that all the coats of shellac meld together, I also finish off with 2 coats of 1# cut. I am again depending on the increase etoh to shellac proportion to penetrate deeper to affect the previous applied thicker coats.

Hope I explained this ok.
jerry
Seal coat from the can sprays very well for me. Quick and easy. Wish it was more readily available though. Woodcraft is the only place in KC that I can find it.